Housing: Seasonal rentals, AirBNB and leases

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

"Am I my brother's keeper?" sort of immerge sin my mind ... an organ of delusion when it comes to social connections that are not well observed!

My understanding of some of the objections is that most of the rentals like you are using are not a family making some extra money. Instead they are people doing it as a business, being a hotel, but not paying business and hotel taxes.

The other objections relate to the buildings going through a lot of wear and tear from tourists and the idea that more money is made by daily rentals than monthly rentals so it is harder to find monthly rentals

My understanding of some of the objections is that most of the rentals like you are using are not a family making some extra money. Instead they are people doing it as a business, being a hotel, but not paying business and hotel taxes.

The other objections relate to the buildings going through a lot of wear and tear from tourists and the idea that more money is made by daily rentals than monthly rentals so it is harder to find monthly rentals

I think (feel? have the impression?) that in this case the AirBnB is the wife's contribution to the family income. I met the husband and got the impression he has a job.

I don't know. Does it always have to be about allowing for profit over social justice? ... it's just disappointing how much airbnb is driving up normal rent prices and/ or vacancies. $1500 a month for a 350 square foot place in someone else's home (which is not always very good, sometimes too close for comfort) is absurd. And for $1000 which is the very max I will pay), you get ugly carpet, mismatched appliances and fake wood panelling, 1970s linoleum, that sort of thing. Might be adequate and safe but it's still a downer. No love put into it whatsoever. And the love put into the nicer places (which does not have to cost any more money to make cheery enough) is just love of money.

Last edited:
It didn't used to be about profit. People built suites to help pay off their mortgage, and understood that their tenants were not well off, or they wouldn't be enquiring to rent a small suite. People who charged way too much for ugly spaces that they threw together (never mind the dirty broom closets some try to rent) because they can, were called slumlords.

"Am I my brother's keeper?" sort of immerge sin my mind ... an organ of delusion when it comes to social connections that are not well observed!
we r Voluntarily our sisterz keeper
we Voluntarily choose who to help
when and how
Bless this country

Money Laundering in the GVRD is what is actually causing this insane housing pricing increase & the dearth of rentals. BUCKETS AND BUCKETS of money. ‘It’s a crisis’: B.C. attorney general responds to report linking drugs, money laundering, real estate

NOT mom and pops AirBnBin'g...

(i also hear that two seperate communities r having discussions to join into one entity?...i wonder whst they will call it? Saatoria? Victaanish?)

Also, flipping and other forms of market manipulation. In the absence of crap like this, I doubt AirBnB would have much of an impact.

Flipping of condo units by insiders fuels hot Vancouver market

Money Laundering in the GVRD is what is actually causing this insane housing pricing increase & the dearth of rentals. BUCKETS AND BUCKETS of money. ‘It’s a crisis’: B.C. attorney general responds to report linking drugs, money laundering, real estate

NOT mom and pops AirBnBin'g...

(i also hear that two seperate communities r having discussions to join into one entity?...i wonder whst they will call it? Saatoria? Victaanish?)

Vancouver, that was a problem. That's not it, here. Basement suites were always common here. There are fewer apartment buildings. It's a "mostly houses" city. It's a tourist city. People buying old homes exclusively as bnbs - real ones with communal dining for guests -was big here, for years. Then with airbnb people watched a few home improvement shows, made their suites in their homes into a business instead of making a suite just to help pay the mortgage. It's obviously more lucrative, but more harmful to much of the population, too. Airbnb is diving it up here.

Saanich is in Greater Victoria, and Victoria is in Greater Victoria. Greater Victoria is the CRD/ Capital Regional District. It's already confusing so it won't make a difference, imo. It'll probably be called Victoria-Saanich (as a voting district but two separate neighbourhoods) and there are already other neighbourhoods combined as voting districts that were not when I grew up here. They're probably also doing it to streamline recycling and garbage collection.

Last edited:
My son found a great apartment, top of a house, for $800 but pays heat . It is not accessible. He worked hard to find a place that inexpensive.
It is cheaper than would be here, and significantly cheaper than toronto.

I answered an ad for a bachelor suite, $800. Was ok. I could make it look cheerier. But it has stairs going into it from outside, they told me. Wouldn't work for me. Can't get my walker up and down. And particularly not as long as I have to wear this brace.

My son found a great apartment, top of a house, for $800 but pays heat . It is not accessible. He worked hard to find a place that inexpensive.
It is cheaper than would be here, and significantly cheaper than toronto.
so nice when able 2 find a sweet place
hope hisandowners r cool
all the places ive rented ive tried 2 form some kinx of relationship w Landowners
i remember the second place i lived when i flew the coop was a whole house for $1100 Cdn a month. i lived there 4 at least a decade with some core friends and rotating acquaintancez and friends...
it was an incredible xperience

Back