What supernatural/paranormal things do you believe in?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

I believe in:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mendalla

Happy headbanging ape!!
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Headline says it all. With the Halloween thread running and some discussion elsewhere, though it would be fun to open a poll on this subject. Discussion open to anything related, really. I'm leaving it open for 3 months in case there's actual interest.

My own vote? Other. I'm agnostic on most of it, open to the possibility in many cases (some cryptids likely have some real basis, probably an unidentified species) but not convinced to the point of being a "believer".

I believe that most of the above exist, but they have to qualified. "Ghosts", for instance, may be nothing more that the energy of persistent thought forms which have not yet dissipated. "Demons" could exist but only as personifications of the dark forces which seem to forever plague our planet. The same goes with "angels", except the latter could also represent those positions or 'offices' in which the Spiritual Hierarchy expresses Itself. In the east they are called "devas".

"UFO's", by definition, surely exist, even to the biggest skeptic. But in the spirit which they are meant here, "yes", I believe this world has been and is currently being visited by extraterrestrial intelligences. There is a lot proof of this in the world now. And, I believe, these extraterrestrials are not necessarily from outside our own Solar System. Terrestrial existence isn't the only means of harbouring life. I believe, however, that they have the ability to make themselves visible for our sake. They are probably very interested in our nuclear capabilities in conjunction with our space program.

My thoughts, exactly. I didn't know what to do with that one. If "godde" is simply everything that exists, visible and invisible, there is nowhere that "godde" is NOT, and so "belief" is sort of meaningless. It's like saying "I believe in my toes" or "I believe in that cloud".

My thoughts, exactly. I didn't know what to do with that one. If "godde" is simply everything that exists, visible and invisible, there is nowhere that "godde" is NOT, and so "belief" is sort of meaningless. It's like saying "I believe in my toes" or "I believe in that cloud".
But you would have to believe in the invisible part of "godde".

My own vote? Other. I'm agnostic on most of it, open to the possibility in many cases (some cryptids likely have some real basis, probably an unidentified species) but not convinced to the point of being a "believer".
How does that differ from "none of the above"?

But you would have to believe in the invisible part of "godde".

Why? Love is invisible, wind is invisible. I'm not arrogant enough to think that humanity 'knows' even a fraction of 'everything'...

Mendalla, you left out an answer option: 42. ;)

No, it is not meaningless. That the world constitutes something that can be called God(de) is a belief, not a fact. Not everyone would agree with you on that point.

That the Universe and beyond exists is a fact (well, unless you believe in The Matrix...). What one names "the Universe and beyond - dark matter and all" is semantics.

I'm kind of iffy on a few of those things - ghosts, UFOs, and cryptids. I feel ghosts are possible, but I don't believe they're dead people floating around. Rather, I feel of them as some kind of energy force.

It isn't save that it is a bit more nuanced. Really, I should have checked both Other and None.
I don't know how one nuances "I don't believe". Hey, I'm open to anything that can be demonstrated. So are you. You're concerned about unintentionally offending believers. I don't follow.

Except, even though I voted for God, I don't believe God is supernatural.

A personal Deity (ie. One that has a personality we can interact with and that can consciously affect all of existence) almost has to be supernatural as we understand nature. As a pantheist, I believe in the divinity of existence but it's an impersonal thing. I don't believe in a God that answers prayers or hands down revelations, just an existence full of beauty and wonder.

Problem is, chansen, the only tiny thing that separates my rational unbelief, from your rational unbelief, is that I have had a couple of personal, mystical-type experiences that I cannot prove, that can never be anything but my own brain's subjective analysis of an "unusual/inexplicable" event. (These would be outside of the experience that I would call "common awe", like the birth of your child, an intense closeness with a spouse, the death of a loved one.)

St. Niche of Cusa would agree ... with the comment that god's point is all over and unconfined ... thus the shadow is cast ... as deficiency of de lite part ... paraphrased due to mortal limits on quoting without permission. I couldn't get in touch with St. Niche as that fellow with Jollies doesn't come around here for a while ... perhaps out on the Myra ... the other waters?

Why? Love is invisible, wind is invisible. I'm not arrogant enough to think that humanity 'knows' even a fraction of 'everything'...

Mendalla, you left out an answer option: 42. ;)

Love can creep some people as it approaches unseen ... thus people expressing affection, spook them?

Love is a particular odd thing in a world of hate .. but without mass or volume ... and thus often penetrating without you being cognizant ... weird, or wired? Some like their intimate mates charged ... others a'moor gentile ...

I don't know how one nuances "I don't believe". Hey, I'm open to anything that can be demonstrated. So are you. You're concerned about unintentionally offending believers. I don't follow.

No, I am not concerned about offending believers. I have offended more than a few of them over the years, though I don't make it my life's goal as you seem to. This is an allegation you trot out from time to time and it is really not an accurate reflection of me.

I am truly on the fence about a lot of beliefs and don't think "none" is an appropriate response given that. I am expressing what I think/believe as sincerely as I can and your imputing other motives isn't appreciated.

Back