Road trip Canada

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Perhaps you could find a recipe book (or website) that features representative recipes from each province?

I'm sure it's long out of print, but I have a fabulous cookbook called The CanLit Cookbook. Contains some great recipes, in fact, my long-time go to recipe for the best cinnamon buns, but it's also got Farley Mowat's recipe for creamed mice on toast...

I would include images from the North Shore of Lake Superior.
I love travelling across and in Canada.

There are things which are unique to Canada. Is great to sit around a campfire in a Canadian national park, and have a "voyaguer" led drama and singalong.

Go canoeing (or rafting) on the Grand River. Simple and easy canoeing can be arranged.

Go to drumheller for dinosaurs and to experience the hikes.
We think the Rockies are pretty impressive, but they may not, but, go to the west coast and get on ferries and travel to Salt Spring Island, or head over to tofino

I never heard that there were so many people from India in BC- I thought it was more Chinese.

A lot of people came from India to build the railroad as well. Jae is referring to the fact that I went out to an Indian restaurant last night. I suspect he thinks he's being funny or something.

@BethAnne would likely be willing to add a small crocheted food item. For a sample of handcrafts in Canada.

Some of our knitters might be able to come up with an interesting idea or two.

A lot of people came from India to build the railroad as well. Jae is referring to the fact that I went out to an Indian restaurant last night. I suspect he thinks he's being funny or something.

Actually, no. I was referring to the fact that people from India are part of the foundational history of British Columbia.

Here you go - FEAST - Recipes & Stories from a Canadian Road Trip! It comes in a kindle edition too :) Do they read English Mrs. Anteater?
Apparently not but we can throw in some wonder magic dust or something for translation purposes.

Thank you all, wonderfull ideas for the box. I like the links on the stick- better than printed , you don’ t have to copy lengthy web addresses. Music and art- I would not have thought of that. Maybe Maple butter- I had taken sirup in previous years. I also usually bring maple leaf shaped cookies.

Did you say “mice”?

You are obviously unfamiliar with the Canadian novel by Farley Mowat, "Never Cry Wolf", in which he figures out that the primary diet of northern wolves is rodents, not caribou or humans. At some point during his winter alone, he decides to try a "wolf diet", which experiment includes "creamed mice on toast". It's a great book. So was the cookbook. If you're interested, I could certainly scan you a page or two of the cookbook. It's a bit culturally dated.

A cheap souvenir is a newspaper. I like to read about other towns...especially the little details which
give me a sense of the local area. Things like social events & classifieds. I try to pick up a newspaper when I'm in a small town.
Since your relatives speak German, newspapers aren't much value though. Also newspapers won't fit in the box.
There is a local German newspaper but it looks to be mainly news about Germany for the homesick.

das journal

Back