Why Do We Baptize....

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Then why the resurrection?

I don't quite get what you're asking Waterfall. With the resurrection, Christ triumphed over his enemies - including sin and death. Since that's the case, he can now give us everlasting life.

I don't quite get what you're asking Waterfall. With the resurrection, Christ triumphed over his enemies - including sin and death. Since that's the case, he can now give us everlasting life.
I thought you were saying baptism by using water symbolizes that our sins are washed away and seeing that we only need to be baptized once I wondered why Jesus had to die for our sins as some churches teach if it can be done through baptism?

I thought you were saying baptism by using water symbolizes that our sins are washed away and seeing that we only need to be baptized once I wondered why Jesus had to die for our sins as some churches teach if it can be done through baptism?

The Baptist denominations that I'm in see baptism as just being symbolic. In them, people get baptized to publicly profess their identification with Christ. They are immersed in water - to symbolize Christ's death, and then lifted out of the water - to symbolize Christ's resurrection.

Cleansing by God ... when you lose it ... it is passe dover to the next generation ... to some traumatic ... others are entranced! Generally a blackout mentally ... but few institutions accept psyche is real ... she too can wobble!

I was baptized in an Rc Church as a baby, not I never went through with a confirmation at 13 with my class.

When I was in my 40s, after my spiritual experience I went through baptism in a Pentecostal church, I cannot explain how wonderful it felt to my soul. There was a 90 yr old man beside me to be baptized, he was Asian and a Buddhist had to help him stand up he was so weak, after his water immersion he cried and said it was the happiest day of his life to come to know the Son of God.

was very moving

The Holy Spirit is simply always present.

By the way, baptism does not (at least in my thinking) "wash away sins." Baptism is a symbol of our cleansing by God.
We are not what we should be; God "cleanses" us. If someone wants to use language like "washing away sin" I'm uncomfortably ok with that - although I don't feel it's really accurate. But basically I'd say that water baptism is symbolic of our emergence into a new way of life freed from the power and consequences of sin.

We are not what we should be; God "cleanses" us. If someone wants to use language like "washing away sin" I'm uncomfortably ok with that - although I don't feel it's really accurate. But basically I'd say that water baptism is symbolic of our emergence into a new way of life freed from the power and consequences of sin.
I think I know what youre saying.....is it that baptism is the beginning of a life in repentance? Not sure.

What is an accuracy in a populace dedicated to emotions far more than the intelligence on the situation that leaves folks in complete frustration ... projected chaos?

Some say projected things are evil ... dark shots in the night?

Is humanity far short on that shot compared to heavenly ideals? One has to dip and dunk ...

I believe that Baptism is a display of us showing publicly that we identify with Christ ----it shows our obedience and it shows an outward expression of our commitment to align ourselves with His ways and His Word -----

I definitely do not believe that any form of Baptism in Water saves a soul at any age ------

Water is used --in different ways at times in the Bible -----the Holy Spirit is likened to water ---the Word is likened unto water ----

I John 5:8 -----
New American Standard Bible
the Spirit and the water and the blood; and the three are in agreement.

John 4:46; to τῷ αἵματι, John 19:34; Hebrews 9:19; 1 John 5:6, 8. Allegorically, that which refreshes and keeps alive the soul is likened to water, viz. the Spirit and truth of God

Water
[N] [T]

The word "water" is used in a variety of metaphorical ways in Scripture.
Water Definition and Meaning - Bible Dictionary

Just an interesting tidbit....
In John ....John at first refuses to baptize Jesus and in the Gospel of the Nazorenes it is Jesus Himself who questions why he requires baptism after his mother and brothers urge him to do so. After opposing it He reluctantly accepts it.

One of the ongoing debates in the United Church (and likely in some other mainline churches) is when should one say yes or no to a baptism request....

In large part the way you answer that will depend on your understanding of what baptism is and signifies. In smaller part it may depend on pragmatic and political considerations...

Waterfall ---your quote ----- In John ....John at first refuses to baptize Jesus and in the Gospel of the Nazorenes it is Jesus Himself who questions why he requires baptism after his mother and brothers urge him to do so. After opposing it He reluctantly accepts it.

unsafe says ----Why would Jesus question why He needed to be Baptised when Jesus came to show the way back to righteousness ----Your Nazorenes Gospel makes no sense -------

Matthew3 NIV
Jesus replied, “Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness.” Then John consented.

revsdd: "Jesus did not baptize with water."

A common misconception based on the conflicting claims in John 4:1-2: "...the Pharisees had heard, " that Jesus is making and baptizing more disciples than John (although it was not Jesus Himself, but His disciples who baptized.""

Commentators have long recognized this as a Johannine editorial correction to rebut the original Johannine tradition that Jesus Himself baptized converts. This earlier and, I think, correct tradition is confirmed by the unequivocal claim to that effect in 3:22:
"After this Jesus and His disciples went into the Judean countryside, and He spent some time with them there and was baptizing."

Then there is that Matthew 23:15 thing with the criminalized children ... because of blind dogma ...

Another view on the purpose of baptism...

"...just as a child once born remains the child of his father (even if he commits patricide), so you remain God’s child because of your rebirth in Baptism. God promises you that you are purchased by Jesus’ blood. This promise sets you apart once and forever, marking you with water according to Jesus’ command." - Jonathan M. Fisk, Echo: Unbroken Truth Worth Repeating.

I like it - the rebirth in baptism.

Back