The Revelation to John

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

I suspect that Jae's "Earl Who?" comment may have been intended to express skepticism of Doherty as a serious and qualified biblical scholar. I tend to agree with Jae on that. I'd never cite him as a source. That BA in ancient history that he has doesn't really do it for me as far as identifying him as someone who should be so easily dismissing one of the more complicated pieces of biblical writing there is.

Wonderful. Brilliant response. How did you make it through seminary?

I am convinced that Revelation has no real worth to the average Christian and is of interest only to scholars.

I don't know. I read it through a couple times in the eighties without being a scholar and found a message there (not the overblown doomsday one, either). It requires close reading and discernment and it is definitely has some of the most fantastical imagery in the Bible, but if one approaches it with the right mindset, I don't think it's a total write-off. Perhaps my being fond of poetry and a bit of poet myself affects how I view it. Had I been one of those debating its inclusion, I likely wouldn't have supported it, but I'm not convinced it's beyond redemption, either.

Reactions: Jae
No, but I AM asking YOU.
Do you do any of your own finding of answers or seeking of truth?

Some are folks demanding leasure ... and some of us work to get a wrinkle in space that's out there ... dippy? Perhaps ... then maybe a Nous meant to give folks enough rope for ... thus support systems! One does need a gripe ...

I don't know. I read it through a couple times in the eighties without being a scholar and found a message there (not the overblown doomsday one, either). It requires close reading and discernment and it is definitely has some of the most fantastical imagery in the Bible, but if one approaches it with the right mindset, I don't think it's a total write-off. Perhaps my being fond of poetry and a bit of poet myself affects how I view it. Had I been one of those debating its inclusion, I likely wouldn't have supported it, but I'm not convinced it's beyond redemption, either.

Consider this: "Why do people read Braums Stoker as a simulation of a fire tender?" ... right up the allah of RL Stevenson and Ess steamed machinations due to the excess heats ... allows for variation in spelling, etc. to build strange tongues and place to cause mythical chaos!

People really do like to scare and be feared in return ... wait till you see what's in store for radical poles ... stuff that occurs at CERN for cer*tan ... collapse into the mysterious abstract! Leave a few bits out here and there ... thus partly vacant mind or perversely vacated!

The heat of the night is a kohl fear needing ignition ...

Rule of primary nature ... trust nothing from the earth where lyres originated as hummers and expert professionals ... some weird experience prerequisite! Many staunch pious folk won;t go with it ... questions, interest, curiosity and inquiry and all that nonsense!

It appears out there and thus the proximity roue ... cha Ron blossoms?

Last edited:
I believe that Luce is identifying the Revelation to John as an even earlier horror story than Stoker's Dracula - often considered one of the first fully formed of the genre (or, one could suggest, more primitive versions of scary stories going right back to Beowulf).

I believe that Luce is identifying the Revelation to John as an even earlier horror story than Stoker's Dracula - often considered one of the first fully formed of the genre (or, one could suggest, more primitive versions of scary stories going right back to Beowulf).

I'm not so sure it's a horror story, though. The ending is the coming of the kingdom of God. Of course, Dracula also ends with the defeat of chaos and darkness so perhaps that does fit.

When in fear ... get a grip ... the bible says fear not (in one computer search of the texts a search engine came up with some 366 versions of this powerful suggestion ... a hint for getting over life as undeniably painful to many) So there isn't a day of the year that a person should be able to get through with a giggle about getting around some fearful oligarch heh!

The "heh" could be an unsexed pronoun and appear differently in male/female as succubus/incubus ... somewhat darkened by the experience ... of being stuck in a mortal? My soul that's awful!

Inclusive of leap year to account for jumped up things like Jack ... in English common Johns as targets for the alternate ...

The gravitas is consuming ... causing an implicit gnawing ... sometimes heard when it is dark and quiet ... getch a gomi ...

The ultimate point of the Book of Revelation is that evil and sin will be defeated and God will be victorious. It is a powerful message of hope to those who face evil (of whatever sort) on a regular basis or even on an occasional basis. It paints evil in stark and vivid terms and makes the point that no evil is so great that God cannot overcome it. Another powerful message to those undergoing trials and tribulation. I certainly would never say that it's of "no real worth to the average Christian and is of interest only to scholars."

The book of Revelation has influenced me in significant ways. It notices the collapse of a market economy under the jurisdiction of church and state. This precipitating joy among the angels.

I also notice that our market economy includes only those who are able to produce a number of identification.

Revelation has always been a bit of a puzzlement to me. I enjoy reading the pastoral letters but in the past the rest has always been somewhat hazy to me. One thing I have gleaned is the great news that Jesus will return. The fogginess of much of it to me is one reason I wanted to start a careful reflection on the book chapter by chapter (something I've never engaged in before).

Let's just say that if it were written today by a modern poet of some kind, we'd likely be speculating on what pharmaceuticals he consumed.:cool:

Let's just say that if it were written today by a modern poet of some kind, we'd likely be speculating on what pharmaceuticals he consumed.:cool:

Hey there is a proliferation of folks going to southern parts of the Ritz colony for the ahahazca process ... erasure of the un-conscience (for 1 as appears in Gael ... UNI-fey'd)? All with the same fate in a cush soil? Sitir as plucked out state ... boing!

There is a vast sea of folks that don;t believe in unconscious things ... thus stoned takes on a different twist as wry genes ...

Definition of hardly understood word and the evolution is a difficult evolution ... it stiff is evolving ... corruption of power?

Institutional and stable worlds? Some folk believe this an support aggression and physical conflict instead of mental-emotional balance ... thus all that remains is the fertile soil ... and why should the little parts give a crap? Fecundity!

Thus this aggression crap is existent while non aggression is obviously supernatural and a peace beyond as in anon ... close but never quite there ... with exceptions of over the spectrum and below the vanishing point ... providing the iconic coupling >< and hope that we come out the other side far more expansive after the point of the presence to be a prick of gone science (past omniscience)? All is due to recall from the shadow ... let the milled pig do its thing ... and there shall be no dirth ... imagine the MS pelt:

Definition of dearth. 1 : scarcity that makes dear specifically : famine. 2 : an inadequate supply : lack a dearth of evidence.
Can we appreciate thin Ness and ethereal as nothing of worry ... when it is something other than appears like reputations of gods and warmaking in the physical extent? Yet will we let some old concepts of power go ... as they drift off in abstract space do they look to be small worries way out there? Like does abstract exist existentially or only in essence of the odor ... that amy not augur well?

On top of that concern ... one is not supported to tell because of those not admiring bad nous as it bares pore lie!

After that only the tale remans in passing ...

Thoughts on Revelation 2:12-17...

Jesus here introduces himself, "And to the angel of Pergamum's church write, 'These says he that has the sword.'" That's the way Jesus had appeared to John, to signify his Word's power.

Power's Word was intended to assist the church in Pergamum's pastor in his spot. His testimony wasn't to be weak.

☆ Pastors are to preach the Word as it's written, regardless that their proclamation's to the one life unto life and to the other death unto death. ☆

Jesus describes the scene in Pergamum, "I know your works and where you live, where's Satan's throne; and you've adhered to me even in the days when Antipas was killed in your midst."

The statements that Satan ruled in Pergamum's a reference to idolatry. For the worship of the gods Aesculapius and Zeus Soter was practiced in Pergamum.

This was repulsive to the mission, which condemned all idols and their cult with emphasis as Satan's inventions. Thus the missional church at Pergamum was in a position.

Jesus, therefore, acknowledges the missionaries' faithfulness in adhering to his name, to the confession of their missional faith.

Even when Antipas, Pergamum's bishop, jbecame the first martyr in the church, they didn't flinch, they didn't deny the truth which they'd accepted. For this stand Jesus commends them.

But Jesus tells them, "I've things against you, that you've there such as stick to Balaam's doctrine; likewise you've also such as adhere to the Nocolaitans' doctrine."

Though Jesus had praised Pergamum's church, the rebuke had become necessary. A minority of the church had become contaminated with shame, and the majority's fault was indifference.

Shameful acts were being put up with. Jesus mentions Balaam, who caused Balak, the Moabites' king, to place a trap before Israel by having the Moabite women seduce them into worshiping false gods.

Certain members of Pergamum's church took part in idolatry, the Nicolaitans among them. These errorists were seducing missionaries in the same way as Balaam got the Israelites enticed to ruin.

Jesus' warning, "If you don't repent, I'm coming to you and will battle with them with the sword of my mouth's sword."

The entire church had become guilty for abetting the guilty ones. So Jesus demanded the church's repentance. And should the church delay in this attitude-change, then Jesus will visit them.

With his Word's sword he intends to battle against the shameful. He has ways of awakening witnesses for the truth and of showing all that profess the missional truth that he won't be mocked.

Laxity in missional discipline's a peril for a congregation, for the shame, if unchecked, is bound to spread.

Jesus promises, "Hear what the Spirit tells the churches 'To they that conquer I'll give to eat of the manna, and I'll give him a stone inscribed with a name, which no one knows except the receiver.'"

It's again the Spirit that makes this promise, to missionaries of all times and in every place. To they that conquer, Jesus will give food, hidden manna, Jesus being that food which meets the soul's every need.

As we receive Jesus and his blessings through grace's means here in time, so we'll afterward, in heaven, on the Sabbath, enjoy his glory in its fullness.

There the missionaries will also get a stone, which testifies to their faith. As their names were written in God, so they're here written on eternity, where they'll see God's adoption through Jesus' love.

Quote from above post ------- ☆ Pastors are to preach the Word as it's written,

unsafe says -----
Amen to that saying ---to bad it is not adhered to ----- Some Preachers out there today either water down the word or sugar coat it so it doesn't offend ----or they twist the word to suit their own agenda ----or they just simply preach their own doctrine and forget what the Bible says altogether -------We Humans are a fearful Lot in preaching the Truth as it is Written ------and we are putting people's eternal lives at risk -----

%E2%80%A6+not+telling+the+whole+story..jpg

Back