Samsung Scandal

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

The dealings between the big phone makers and service providers are pretty arcane, I find. We get some pretty amazing deals from Telus on our corporate account but that's partly because they can still offer longer terms to corporate customers, whereas the CRTC has limited consumer contracts to two years.

I do need to start thinking about getting a personal phone. I've been using my work phone with a personal partition setup for years but that ends if I do retire per the other thread. I will likely use Samsung still but might step down from the S series (high end and flagship phones) to the A series (mid-range).

Apparently this S23FE (fan edition) is a more economical version of the S series. Maybe a slight step down, between S and A.

It was easy to switch from one Samsung phone to another with their Smart Switch. That's a good way to keep customers.

Apparently this S23FE (fan edition) is a more economical version of the S series.
Yeah, my current work phone is the S20 FE. The support team are testing the S23 FE right now to see if it is a good option. They've been using the base S23 so far because the FE came out later.

Has anyone used Bixby? Is it worth it? We've had it for five years since we got our S9's. We haven't used it because it feels a little like Big Brother.

Has anyone used Bixby? Is it worth it? We've had it for five years since we got our S9's. We haven't used it because it feels a little like Big Brother.
I am not fond of voice controlled assistants yet so Bixby had remained resolutely off on my Samsung phones and my new Samsung TV. Ditto Google Assistant. It's not just the privacy piece, but voice activation has been a nuisance at times for me, doing stuff when I didn't need it to.

feels a little like Big Brother.
Ha.. they all come pre set up with almost every app given permission to use your data for whatever they want.
I usually clear those permissions all out as soon as I get a new one except for the permissions I allow. Big brother, yup

One of my coworkers had gor the S9 around the same time I did. We were in her office chatting. She had inadvertently turned Bixby on. Her phone was writing out what we were saying. Creepy.

I'm not in any hurry to get anything like Alexa or those gadgets either.

You do realize that the the top-end Androids like the Galaxy S are as feature-rich, safe and secure as an iPhone for similar prices (i.e. hardly "bargain brands")? That Samsung has enterprise-grade security baked into every phone so is preferred over iPhone by guys like me? That almost every app on Apple, save Apple's own, has an Android counterpart? The best thing Apple has done is their move to make it easier to control your private data (earning them Mark Zuckerberg's ire and my thumbs-up) and some of the better Android phones (Google, Samsung) are introducing similar features. Really, you're speaking from ignorance here.

To be honest, from a privacy and security standpoint, Blackberry was the best in its heyday. Neither Android nor iPhone is their equal in that regard without adding additional management software like we use at work.
Funnily I do recall too some companies required Blackberry back when due to the physical buttons. It was seen as safer for emergency situations, rather than a screen. Few things that Blackberry did that fell under safety/security. Unfortunate they couldn't stick around and keep up.

Funnily I do recall too some companies required Blackberry back when due to the physical buttons. It was seen as safer for emergency situations, rather than a screen. Few things that Blackberry did that fell under safety/security. Unfortunate they couldn't stick around and keep up.
I felt that way when I went to an iPhone. Less safe due to not being able to feel the position of the numbers on a touchscreen. Now I’m just used to it. One consolation (I guess) is that 99% of other people have a cellphone if something happens and I can’t use mine. There was a time not long ago when nobody had one and I don’t think it was more dangerous then.

I felt that way when I went to an iPhone. Less safe due to not being able to feel the position of the numbers on a touchscreen. Now I’m just used to it. One consolation (I guess) is that 99% of other people have a cellphone if something happens and I can’t use mine. There was a time not long ago when nobody had one and I don’t think it was more dangerous then.
Field work - so the safety aspect includes driving in remote areas. Some different considerations than those working in one location.
Communication devices were used before cellphones, they just replaced what was being used.

Field work - so the safety aspect includes driving in remote areas. Some different considerations than those working in one location.
Communication devices were used before cellphones, they just replaced what was being used.
I’m speaking from personal experience for day to day - but yes, that would likely feel much riskier unless they give radios to people who work in remote areas. They probably have some kind of gps, and radios - people working in the mountains, in the bush, etc. they should’ve kept car phones. But…you can have Siri or Alexa dial for you. I turn that off.

I’m speaking from personal experience for day to day - but yes, that would likely feel much riskier unless they give radios to people who work in remote areas. They probably have some kind of gps, and radios - people working in the mountains, in the bush, etc.
Yeah, I would assume all fleet in the industry has GPS, separate from phones.

By Google you mean Android? There aren't really any at this point if you want a smartphone. The closest you can come are the Chinese phones and then you're sucked into their ecosystem.

Now, if you just want a feature phone with a camera (so no email, web browser, apps, etc.), which it sounds like you might be thinking, there are still options out there but I will have to research them. Have not looked at feature phones in a while.

Here is what Beast Buy has but it's all marketplace sellers, nothing that they carry themselves. But they are all unlocked so you can use any provider, even the cheap SIMs from a place like 7-11.

These two are available from providers but the cameras suck (2MP). Basically, feature phones as we knew them 15 or so years ago.

thankee sai :3

i am also checking out fairphone (as sustainable as possible, 10 year update life, replacable battery which I want)
they operate out of eu it looks like and i have found a Canadian who has figured oot how to get it shipped to them
Rogers has a Free 5G new phone plan for anyone in Canada with proven low income. It's $25 a month with data.
There are various other companies offering low rates for seniors too.
I am not on any of those plans, but I got a Pixel phone free from Rogers because it was used and a 2022 model.
good for them :3 ty for the heads up
The dealings between the big phone makers and service providers are pretty arcane, I find. We get some pretty amazing deals from Telus on our corporate account but that's partly because they can still offer longer terms to corporate customers, whereas the CRTC has limited consumer contracts to two years.

I do need to start thinking about getting a personal phone. I've been using my work phone with a personal partition setup for years but that ends if I do retire per the other thread. I will likely use Samsung still but might step down from the S series (high end and flagship phones) to the A series (mid-range).
yes, i think the Arcaninity is intentional? As comparing plans between different carriers is very akin to a Category Error lol

i miss Blackberry
i knew they were really important when i found out the White House used them

i knew they were really important when i found out the White House used them
At one time, almost any large organization used them. They were the only phones you centrally manage and secure back then. Nowadays, it is possible with Android and, to some degree, Apple but back then, they were the only game in town for what we now call "mobile device management" (MDM for short).

At one time, almost any large organization used them. They were the only phones you centrally manage and secure back then. Nowadays, it is possible with Android and, to some degree, Apple but back then, they were the only game in town for what we now call "mobile device management" (MDM for short).
i also heard that they, unlike google and Apple, didn't comply with the 5 Eyes global surveillance program...

That took a lot of character

Back