Room For All

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Awful about your truck and the theft ChemGal. Here, people are having a real problem with catalytic converter theft. The garage where we take our car had to put a huge fence around the vehicles left outside, but...the crooks just use the same tools to cut through the fence to get what they want. The owner has them on video but the police say they can't do anything. A local food charity had this happen to their van too, so food for quite a few people got delayed while they had the van fixed. I keep thinking that, if the police don't go after those doing the stealing, is there any way they can find out who is buying the converters and charge them? There is a car dealership in a sketchy part of town that doesn't seem to have any problem despite having many vehicles parked outside day and night. The detective in me (too many mystery novels) would start with this guy to figure out what keeps him safe.
This is a failure on the part of Provincial governments or the Federal government. All scrap dealers should be required by law to keep a record of the identity of all people who sell them scrap metal. A law related just to catalytic converters and heavy copper cable might also be in order. Problems like this really undermine trust in the law.

Good morning. We move to our winter site today. Then we'll be in one spot for several months. I may also be selling my guitar today. It is a handmade classic guitar that I haven't touched in years. It's time. There's a man here who pays classical guitar. I asked him if he knew anyone interested and he does. He came over to look at it and play it. It was so nice to hear it being played. It needs to go to someone who will make it sing.

Good morning. We move to our winter site today. Then we'll be in one spot for several months. I may also be selling my guitar today.
One of the many things I seem to have not fully understood on my way through life is 'Letting Go'. For you this time it is a guitar. For me musically it was my well loved piccolo. Prior to that it was tenting, canoeing, kayaking etc. etc.. Another that is in process is our little camper.

One of the many things I seem to have not fully understood on my way through life is 'Letting Go'. For you this time it is a guitar. For me musically it was my well loved piccolo. Prior to that it was tenting, canoeing, kayaking etc. etc.. Another that is in process is our little camper.

I'm ready to let go of it. He loved the tone and the feel of the neck. He wants to spend more time with it so we'll arrange to meet in the lounge here in the park one day soon. It was lovely to hear it being played so beautifully.

Catalytic converter theft is growing in frequency here too @Nancy. Sometimes overnight from people's driveways, sometimes from the commuter train parking lots during the day. I understand they are very expensive to replace. AS for the business with no thefts - hmmm - guard dog? Seems like the market might be growing for those again!

Speaking of expense - @ChemGal - hoping your insurance will cover replacement window for your truck.
Work owns the truck so Chemguy just needs to take it in and submit the paperwork.

Catalytic converter theft is an issue here too EPS has funds for people who come up with solutions. Apparently it's down in Winnipeg with stricter rules regarding metal purchases.

I had to return my e bike to the program again yesterday. Drove into Halifax- what a sight. They seemed to have removed the obstacles from the road, but driving in Connaught and Almond street, there wasn’t one tree that hadn’t lost a larger branch, if it hasn’t come down completely. Big piles of brush lining the streets, traffic lights still out on several streets. It wasn’t as busy as usual during rush hour after work, I suppose people are still staying home and the kids had no school.
Good news, I can buy one of the used ebikes- it’s getting tuned up right now and I can pick it up next week.

Those things make so much sense. I am a convert. I mean, it's not for competition (they actually have eMTB races), but as a way to get around, it's brilliant. You can get where you're going without breaking a sweat or having your clothes smell like exhaust fumes.

And if you want, it can still be a workout. All in one bike. Run out of battery? Oh well, pedal harder. Carry a small toolkit and know how to fix a flat amd put a chain back on, and it's difficult to see you'll ever be stranded by anything other than rain.

Those things make so much sense. I am a convert. I mean, it's not for competition (they actually have eMTB races), but as a way to get around, it's brilliant. You can get where you're going without breaking a sweat or having your clothes smell like exhaust fumes.

And if you want, it can still be a workout. All in one bike. Run out of battery? Oh well, pedal harder. Carry a small toolkit and know how to fix a flat amd put a chain back on, and it's difficult to see you'll ever be stranded by anything other than rain.
Yes, the only downfall was that it had very little suspension- so when I had to pick up four dozen of eggs, I used the car. Also when I needed to pick up two bags of cement. But it took me only five minutes longer to get to work and it was a beautiful drive along the railway track. I can see myself doing that on all nice days in the summer when I don’t need to pick up something heavy or drive somewhere far away right after work. The “ not breaking a sweat” is the point- I can’t get to work and needing a shower.

I could use an electric bike for the same sort of light, local trips. Like going to work, much of the time. Or to church, except that I regularly pick up someone.

@Mrs.Anteater do tell what occasion necessitated buying 4 dozen eggs?

They are hard to use in snow and worse in slush. Also hard to use in a driving rainstorm like ones I experienced too often when living in Halifax. I used a ten speed two days a week for two months when I lived on Cowey Hill in Spryfield while going to Atlantic School of Theology. By the end of the two months I was in the best physical shape ever in my life.

Ugh I'm sick. Was hoping sore throat was just long drive truggering it - nope it's a virus.
Pretty sure it's just a cold though. Will be covid testing to make sure but all of Chemguy's were negative as is my 1st one for this set. 2 full days driving with him, avoiding it seemed very unlikely.

Looks like I may be missing even more treatments, a bit annoyed about that.

Got a call at 5 am from my 92 yr old neighbour. Hubby is bleeding from his foot and she can’t see where its coming from ( poor vision). When I got over there he had his foot in a basin with cold water and the bleeding had already mostly stopped . I found a cut on the side of his foot, probably from the metal bed frame. Put a bandage on and got him back to bed ( he has dementia).
Had to mention that they really need to move into an assisted living place, because if they just get an appartment, they don’t know if they have a helpful neighbour or not. The daughter lives 45 minutes away. I think, it has sunk in now. Their landlord has sent them a note that he is not going to sell this year anymore, the market has cooled down. But they will need a place next spring.
In the 4 ears they lived next to me, we had a heart attack, a broken leg, a broken arm, several times too high blood pressure crisis and several times diarrhea as emergencies. Plus snow removal and lawn mowing. Nova Scotians are pretty good at looking after their neighbours, but you never know if your neighbours are more or less able than you.

Got a call at 5 am from my 92 yr old neighbour. Hubby is bleeding from his foot and she can’t see where its coming from ( poor vision). When I got over there he had his foot in a basin with cold water and the bleeding had already mostly stopped . I found a cut on the side of his foot, probably from the metal bed frame. Put a bandage on and got him back to bed ( he has dementia).
Had to mention that they really need to move into an assisted living place, because if they just get an appartment, they don’t know if they have a helpful neighbour or not. The daughter lives 45 minutes away. I think, it has sunk in now. Their landlord has sent them a note that he is not going to sell this year anymore, the market has cooled down. But they will need a place next spring.
In the 4 ears they lived next to me, we had a heart attack, a broken leg, a broken arm, several times too high blood pressure crisis and several times diarrhea as emergencies. Plus snow removal and lawn mowing. Nova Scotians are pretty good at looking after their neighbours, but you never know if your neighbours are more or less able than you.
I love hearing about neighbours helping each other.
Does your neighbour perhaps need a tetanus shot too?

Good morning! Catalytic converters, e-bikes, guitars, sore throats, and good neighbours. These and other topics worthy of conversation are welcomed round about the coffee cart. Let us continue the conversations over fresh brewed coffee and fresh steeped tea, and other hot beverages. Allis ready,come and get it.

C(_)/ c(_) c\_/ c[_]

I'm perplexed....why would Russia blow up it's own pipeline? They could habe just turned it off or charge alot more. Hmmm..

Also causes increase in natural gas prices and forces the hands of governments to approve Nord Stream 2. It's diabolically brilliant.

Back