Homemaking

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

I am a better cook than is Kimberly. For the sake of the family then I cook.
Kimberly is more of a neat freak than I am. For her sanity Kimberly takes lead in the cleaning aspect. She may delegate some chores because I being less of a neat freak do not have such a problem with the more dirty cleaning chores.
Kimberly as a University Professor clearly brings home more bacon than I do as a minister of The United Church of Canada. She is also far more cautious around money so she is the financial team leader.
Removing wildlife that has entered the house. That is me.
Removing food that has gone bad. That is me.
Cleaning up after the pup. That is me.
Clearing the snow, mowing the lawn, felling trees that are listing badly and may eventually fall on some one or thing. That is me.
Running here and there to pick up some thing, person or other. Also me.

Not really big on traditional roles. We each do what we are good at and it is done for the benefit of all.

Familial tales ...

We live in a small apartment and my wife has a worse schedule than I do. So I do most of the things: dishes, laundry, vacuuming, garbage, etc. She cooks for the week on Sundays or Mondays, cleans the bathroom and irons clothes when needed. She is also the one taking care of money.
In Brazil we had a maid (and I always had one) , so it's the first time I've been doing home stuff. It was difficult in the beginning, but now it helps me a lot to keep calm and beat anxiety.
I appreciated to read this thread and know how you manage your households. It's a very Canadian thing to be so busy with cleaning and fixing. I think I'd enjoy having a house and doing stuff.

Ah, the vacuum-bot. I used to have one called a Little M.:cool:
Ever see a cat riding one of those? I have never had luck posting URLs for anything that moves on this site, but there are vids & gifs everywhere on the net.

Ever see a cat riding one of those? I have never had luck posting URLs for anything that moves on this site, but there are vids & gifs everywhere on the net.
I was thinking that that might be a good entertainment for her while I am at work....but they are so expensive.

We live in a small apartment and my wife has a worse schedule than I do. So I do most of the things: dishes, laundry, vacuuming, garbage, etc. She cooks for the week on Sundays or Mondays, cleans the bathroom and irons clothes when needed. She is also the one taking care of money.
In Brazil we had a maid (and I always had one) , so it's the first time I've been doing home stuff. It was difficult in the beginning, but now it helps me a lot to keep calm and beat anxiety.
I appreciated to read this thread and know how you manage your households. It's a very Canadian thing to be so busy with cleaning and fixing. I think I'd enjoy having a house and doing stuff.
I ‘d love to have a maid and a cook, but as a Quaker, I am supposed to be against slavery...;)

It's a huge cultural difference, more popular in places with huge populations of the potentially impoverished. India is a classic example. Those who are "middle class" and above are socially expected to have local household staff, as a way of paying back into the economy.

It's a huge cultural difference, more popular in places with huge populations of the potentially impoverished. India is a classic example. Those who are "middle class" and above are socially expected to have local household staff, as a way of paying back into the economy.
My mother in Germany has the privilege. That she has enough income and savings that she can afford a live-in polish caregiver ( who also runs the household, cooks cleans and accompanies her to appointments. Because Poland doesn’t have the Euro, they make a good amount of money. However, I used to say it’s her “polish slave” , because per contract she has only two hours off a day. Now, actually, she does get more time, because family takes over part of the days and she can go out. She stays for two months and then another person comes. It has worked out that my mother has only two different caregivers that way.
It is convenient, but it is also taking advantage of the existing inequality .

I agree that many people exploit house workers, but also many people don't. In Brazilian large metropolitan areas, their wages are above the national average and now they have the same laboral rights than other workers. This means the employer needs to collect previdenciary contributions, pay their vacations, transport fares, etc.
I consider we treated the woman who worked for us very well and paid her a fair wage. Many people didn't have educational opportunities and only can rely on domestic jobs to have an income.
I know it's not the ideal situation, but they could be unemployed at all.
It's different when we talk of teenagers - I fiercely hold that they must have at least have a trade education so things can change in the future.

Back