Answer this question:

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

I think it’s they too. But… ?

I find if you ask Americans they will state the saying is
To each his own.

Ask Canadians (at least Millennials) and they will state it's
To each their own.

Maybe similar? They makes more sense with your example though, as it can mean something like a business - and often is a plural 'they'.

To each his own.

Ask Canadians (at least Millennials) and they will state it's
To each their own.

Maybe similar? They makes more sense with your example though, as it can mean something like a business - and often is a plural 'they'.
the saying comes from the movie. The majority of people who remember when it came out remember “they”. It’s weird - in the movie clip above it says “he”. But I remember watching the movie back then and I always thought it was “they”. Occasionally, after that we started using it in different contexts, casually or to be funny - with the understanding that it was a movie line - and it was always “they” when I heard anyone say it.

I’m going to look up whether or not Kevin Costner has commented.

One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.

Or was it "one short step"?

To each his own.
Definitely how I learned it. Sometimes with the add on "said the lady as she kissed the cow".

And of course, "She is the cat's mother".

It was unacceptable to refer to a woman as "she" if you hadn't said her name first. Just as the Queen was Her Majesty when you first greeted her but then Ma'am was correct.

Back