Alternative cleaning recipes

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Mrs.Anteater

Just keep going....
I have a good recipe to clean my hardwood floors with:

1/4 cup dishwashing soap,
1/4 cup alcohol
1/2 cup vinegar
In a spray bottle and fill the rest sith warm water.

I am looking for something similar for the toilet and sink/ bathtub. Something that isn’t needed to do daily- because I won’t.
Any other recipes? I bet @BetteTheRed has some suggestions?

,@Mrs.Anteater Which type of dishwashing soap do you use? Does it matter? I have seen many recommendations for New Dawn in similar homemade formulas.

For toilets, I think the green toilet bowl cleaners have vinegar but not sure what else, but that's likely a starting point.

I recall my brother, who has worked as a custodian, catching hell from Dad for using something on the floor at the cottage (forget what now) so might want to make sure whatever you use on floors is suitable for the flooring in question. Something that works great on wood might cause a problem for vinyl and that sort of thing. And many people have a mix (I have ceramic and vinyl for my hard floors). Looking at the ingredients, though, that formula makes sense.

My "go to" first strategies are baking soda, for refreshing, and gentle abrasion, and 10% cleaning vinegar.

And although I cannot let it touch my skin, Dawn is definitely a bit different a formula than other washing up liquids, and I do keep a bottle of it around. It seems to be specifically necessary in my de-skunking solution.

It seems to be specifically necessary in my de-skunking solution.
Taking notes. I have never tangled with the cute little beasts, but we definitely have skunks around. One especially bold one was even coming out in my yard before sunset a while back. And I saw one duck under the fence to the neighbour's yard last Fall, I think it was. That said, I have no animals and am quite cautious around them myself so hopefully won't need your solution.

Solutions to Pepe are like solutions to stinking thought ... thus sol is driven down as a demon ... nihil 'd? Some say it is a spike as seen from the alternate side !

Taking notes. I have never tangled with the cute little beasts, but we definitely have skunks around. One especially bold one was even coming out in my yard before sunset a while back. And I saw one duck under the fence to the neighbour's yard last Fall, I think it was. That said, I have no animals and am quite cautious around them myself so hopefully won't need your solution.

You will never need my solution unless you own a critter, usually canine, prone to getting skunked. You'll occasionally smell them outside, but they've reacted to another critter, not you. They rarely spray humans, almost always curious/aggressive/unexpected critters.

My granddog got sprayed in her backyard a few years ago. She went to the groomer but still smelled bad when she got wet. It was awful..

I have a good recipe to clean my hardwood floors with:

1/4 cup dishwashing soap,
1/4 cup alcohol
1/2 cup vinegar
In a spray bottle and fill the rest sith warm water.

I am looking for something similar for the toilet and sink/ bathtub. Something that isn’t needed to do daily- because I won’t.
Any other recipes? I bet @BetteTheRed has some suggestions?
For the toilet try about 3 denture tabs(like Polident) dropped into the water ....they work well with porcelain products. Swish the water around and scrub after they dissolve.

My "go to" first strategies are baking soda, for refreshing, and gentle abrasion, and 10% cleaning vinegar.

And although I cannot let it touch my skin, Dawn is definitely a bit different a formula than other washing up liquids, and I do keep a bottle of it around. It seems to be specifically necessary in my de-skunking solution.
Will you publish your de-skunk solution? I don’t have a grand dog at the moment but that might not stay like that.
I remember my friend’s dog being skunked in the middle of the night and when I visited after they had scrubbed everything, they had forgotten the door handle.

32 oz. bottle 3% hydrogen peroxide
1/4 c. baking soda
1-2 tsp liquid Dawn

Mix with rubber gloves. Do not get in dog's eyes. Do not store this solution as it may explode (so, if you have a small dog, maybe half a recipe). For very large dogs, you can add a bit of warm water. Massage in, leave for a few minutes. Rinse well. You can finish with a mild doggie shampoo.

No matter what you use, the dog will smell when it gets wet for several months. You have to wash bedding more often for a while. Use baking soda in dog blanket wash.

Just envision an exploding dog….

Vise you's dogma ... it chasing a tale ... with ode hoe are ... a cultivator! Sophisticated tool? GHo 's ... turns the earth ... Ratchet up ... Murphy's Law????

If it can happen ... give it time ... some things haven't yet ... but they come round and still none learns ...

Back