What makes progressive Christianity "progressive"?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

And you hate evangelical Christians and ever seek to mock us and that's your only game here.
I don't hate you. I think you guys are awesome and fantastic fun. You point me to the worst parts of the bible with the accuracy of bloodhounds.

The important thing with "evangelical Christianity", as it is popularly known, is to have fun with it. It wants to be taken so seriously and so doubtlessly, that it's crying out to be satirized.

Not all of my posts are mocking by nature. I make my share of serious posts as well. But yes, mocking the worst aspects of Christianity is a hobby of mine, and has been for years. I find it entertaining and I think I've helped some people laugh at it as well.

At the risk of being, you know, on topic: Would questioning, or at least willingness to question, faith matters be part of the definition of "progressive" in a Christian context?

Yes. The laugher is when you allow questioning and doubt, but insist on a specific answer at the end of it. Then you're not progressive - you just want to pretend you are.

This from Cornel West:

"Three crucial traditions fuel deep democratic energies. The first is the Greek creation of Socratic commitment to questioning - questioning of ourselves, of authority, of dogma, of parochialism, and of fundamentalism. Vital also is the Jewish invention of the prophetic commitment to justice - for all peoples - formulated in the Hebrew scriptures and echoed in the foundational teachings of Christianity and Islam. And indispensable in addition is the is the mighty shield and inner strength provided by the tragicomic commitment to hope. The tragicomic is the ability to laugh and retain a sense of life's joy - even while staring in the face of hate and hypocrisy - as against falling into the nihilism of paralyzing despair."
George

Yes. The laugher is when you allow questioning and doubt, but insist on a specific answer at the end of it. Then you're not progressive - you just want to pretend you are.
You don't think progressives favour specific answers to the questions they raise?

That is the best source you can find???? I have yet to read anything on Got Questions that attempted to be balanced.

Their thoughts in this article reflect my own on the subject. That's why I posted it Gord.

GotQuestions is more like HazBulls**t. It's just evangelical propaganda
You don't think progressives favour specific answers to the questions they raise?
You're not promoting doubt and questions in others if you've predetermined the answer they have to come to. If it's faith were you can't demonstrate a factual answer, then you can't dismiss those who come to a different conclusion.

And then when they come to a different conclusion, what do you do? What do you expect them to do? This is the problem Christianity has to figure out.

And then when they come to a different conclusion, what do you do? What do you expect them to do? This is the problem Christianity has to figure out.

Part of that problem is that faith shouldn't remain stagnant, it should take us forward and deeper and challenge us at times. All of us can be anywhere on the spectrum as we embark on the journey, but I do think we all should take more care that wherever that journey leads us it should NOT include doing physical or emotional harm to other human beings.

You and unsafe keep sending me there. It's a cesspool, but I keep checking out the links because I keep finding more things to make fun of.

I am fascinated by Christianity. Some people are fascinated by dung beetles. I have a sort of kinship with those folks.

I'm remarkably unconvinced that He even is. It's His fan club that worries me.

For those who aren't as hung up on evidence, they'd have to square a God who gets a tad violent and appreciates a good sacrifice, with your vision of a faith that leads to no harm inflicted on others.

Questions are never unnecessary. If a person has questions then it's necessary that they ask them. It's unanswered questions - and an environment that tells people that they shouldn't ask questions - that leads to the greatest doubts. I agree that it's not the role of the church to "doubt-raise." It's the role of the church to proclaim Jesus, "crucified and risen, our judge and our hope." Or, as I once said in an Easter Sunday sermon, "the resurrection is not a proposition to be debated; it is an event to be proclaimed and celebrated." However, those with questions about the resurrection need to have the freedom to raise them.

Every now and then you seem to get into a mood where you feel the need to re-assert your "conservative" or "evangelical" credentials. That, in and of itself, perhaps suggests an inner struggle; a wrestling with the Holy Spirit. Not criticizing. Actually, it's good. Just noticing it is all.

Is the wisdom of mankind questionable considering that we believe we know "the ALL" of ID when there's still so much strangeness out there? Many however they can ... deny ID as passion of what's out there to learn ... thus philosophy as a sophisticated spin off ... the mates are Apropos completions ! Leads on in la ches is ... cheezy?

And you hate evangelical Christians and ever seek to mock us and that's your only game here.

Christians never mock daemons? I challenge you to GOOGLE Daemons as an ancient understanding of the other side of reality as metaphysics ... reality exhibiting little thoughts as mortals say we should avid wee characterizations ... that instill quality where once was quantity ... as dispersed thought!

I state that gods, daemons and the confused in betwixt state are all dangerous and there is a forth coming cause ... observed only when looking backwards in linguistics to see how earth bound gods redacted ... and are thus red faced in due time! he great escape cometh as Freudian histrionics ... some opposing d' emon as an alternate sol? Small concerns to those without --- L Armstrong ... touted that expression: "if without ask!" You will still be denied as alien if you have ath ought ... it just follows!

Back