The Rev. Vosper Again

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

I don't think she is that popular. She's more infamous than famous. She will struggle to compete for people in exactly the same way the rest of you compete for attention. None of you are drawing from the "easily scared" demographic. But she has a little congregation who are happy with her. At least the ones there now are. And she has like-minded people throughout the denomination. How many? If you believe Rev. Bott's analysis, maybe 5% of clergy at least sympathize with her. Would you expect more or fewer members to feel similarly? Because I'd wager more.

Is that what it's going to be? Let's DSL(D) Rev. Vosper, alienate those who agree with her and all of West Hill, and just point them in the direction of the nearest Uniterian Universalist denomination? Because in the case of West Hill, that's 18km away in The Beach neighbourhood.
In terms of getting around this city, 18km is not a huge distance :whistle:.

I was just trying to say that alternatives exist for both "progressive" Christian and post Christian perspectives.

Last edited:
It's interesting that all the UU churches in Toronto are central or west, nothing in the east. Likely says something about our demographics. Perhaps WHUC would attract more people if it moved downtown or at least someplace more central? Neighbourhood UU (the one chansen found in the Beaches) is the one I'd probably go to if I lived in the GTA. Heard and read good things about their minister.

It's interesting that all the UU churches in Toronto are central or west, nothing in the east. Likely says something about our demographics. Perhaps WHUC would attract more people if it moved downtown or at least someplace more central? Neighbourhood UU (the one chansen found in the Beaches) is the one I'd probably go to if I lived in the GTA. Heard and read good things about their minister.
Hey. Wait a minute. Didn't you once say if you lived in the GTA you'd come to my church?

I don't think she's all that popular among her ministry peers. The person that I know who was on the review doesn't like her; I can tell, although professionalism has been strictly maintained. However, I know quite a few church ministers, and although I'd say that none of them believe as she does (even I don't; I have a sense of the numinous in nature and in relationship that I think she may lack), I have a fairly good idea that many of them have considerably less theistic beliefs than might be required to be in "essential agreement" with our various and sundry Articles of Faith.

Yes - West Hill shared the news this morning, with agreement that no comments be shared until the UCCan statement that was released at 1pm. They are happy that a binding settlement has been reached and she will continue in ministry with West Hill without restrictions.

So now what will we have to talk about? :whistle:

Incidentally, a negotiated settlement is probably the best possible outcome. A protracted fight, especially one that dragged out into the civil courts (as could have happened had Vosper been DSL'd), is not in anyone's interest here.

Incidentally, a negotiated settlement is probably the best possible outcome. A protracted fight, especially one that dragged out into the civil courts (as could have happened had Vosper been DSL'd), is not in anyone's interest here.
Agree with you on this.

Back