The Rev. Vosper Again

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

In September 2017, the review was scheduled for November 2017. They are exactly where they were 1 year ago.

We should totally take bets on that happening.
Precisely on both counts.

Funny I haven't heard anything about a new date for the hearing anywhere else. Other than this particular article.

Which doesn't look like much of a reputable source, to be honest. I know I posted it, but it's all I could find.

Funny I haven't heard anything about a new date for the hearing anywhere else. Other than this particular article.

Ditto. Google searches all pull up references to the indefinite postponement from the original November 2017 date but nothing about it (finally) being rescheduled. Wonder if they used an old article as the source and made a typo (2018 for 2017). Other than the odd flare-up here, I have heard little about Vosper over this year.

Turns out, it is real. Gretta linked to it from Twitter.

gretta vosper on Twitter

There will be flack because of the partial quote in the headline but here is an article just published on WikiTribune. The second part of the "I don't care if the church survives" quote is, "I care if the good the church can do...

Now I'm curious if they can get a panel together this year. If they can't...

Interesting that nothing in her tweet actually confirms the statement that the hearing is scheduled for this November but she doesn't debunk it, either, so that suggests fire under the smoke.

I will add that I am curious about where this ends up as a former member but it has little bearing on my present situation. Right now, I'm unchurched and reasonably happy so I'm not even thinking about where to go. UU would probably still be my first choice, though, assuming I could find one close to me that was a fit (part of my problem right now is that I'm not really finding one with the local group).

I will add that I am curious about where this ends up as a former member but it has little bearing on my present situation.
It has none on mine, and I know that's been a criticism leveled at me in the past, but it's fascinating.

In all seriousness, what if they can't get it off the ground this November? How ridiculous would that look?

In all seriousness, what if they can't get it off the ground this November? How ridiculous would that look?

Very. OTOH, the media has largely forgotten about her save for the odd columnist so I doubt it has much effect on the general public image of the church at this point. Most likely, if something does happen and it gets back in the news, most people not involved in the world of the UCCan (and even many who are) will go, "Oh, her again?"

Right, but even internally, it would look like a complete clusterfark. It already looks bad, but this would be too much.

Since a major change in UCCan governance is scheduled for Jan. 1, 2019, and there will be months, if not years of adjusting to it, my gut feeling is that this is 'now or never.' Wouldn't surprise me at all if it was 'never'.

Since a major change in UCCan governance is scheduled for Jan. 1, 2019, and there will be months, if not years of adjusting to it, my gut feeling is that this is 'now or never.' Wouldn't surprise me at all if it was 'never'.

What, you don't think they wouldn't try to delay again so they can fob it off on the new discipline body, whatever it's called?

The name Kate Crawford sounds familiar to me. It may just be because she's close by (Grand Bend is less than an hour from home) but I swear I have heard of her somewhere.

The name Kate Crawford sounds familiar to me. It may just be because she's close by (Grand Bend is less than an hour from home) but I swear I have heard of her somewhere.

Figured it out. She served at First St.Andrew's here in London and I was at a few services there during her time.

Religious people are so forgiving of far out thoughts about an ultimate god (especially since ultimate is related to distance).

Consider the far out ideas of a curved planet versus a flat out BS!

Gretta Vosper to get formal hearing soon

It's heartening to see so much support for Rev Vosper in the comments of the Observer. The Facebook comments are predictably more harsh, as the UCCan Facebook groups tends to be very polar.
Only a few comments on FB that I can see & I would not call any of them "harsh".

Comments on the Observer site are piling up. A former member of WHUC has just challenged Mike Milne's statement in the article that "Gretta has always had the support of her congregation."

One of the beauty's of God desire is that the mind sees what it wishes ... perhaps not what is partisan! Tis like a whole HeH space ... a place to put it one elder woman told me ... I believe in jest (an elle-ish state compared to fixation)!

P3, do you think that the West Hill schism was inevitable, given the two directions that the congregation seemed to want to move in?

Back