Poppies and Politics

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

ninj

Pronouns
She/Her/Her
This is just a copy and paste, but I thought it raised a few issues and wonder what other people's thoughts are?

"A Redditor recently took to the platform to reflect on why it appears that fewer people are wearing poppies leading up to Remembrance Day, with the replies in the post ranging from practical to political.

But one expert says some might be misinterpreting what wearing a poppy symbolizes.

Redditor asks: 'When did people stop wearing poppies?'
In the Reddit post titled “Poppies,” the user @ModernCaesar asks: "When did people stop wearing poppies?"

They note that 10 years ago, it was commonplace to see people wearing poppies at the start of November, leading up to the 11th. But when they were recently at a busy mall, they had only observed four people wearing them. They then posed the question: “If you aren't wearing one, or not planning to, is there any good reason why not?”

In the replies, many noted at how easily the pins fall out.

“I bought 3 already and (lost) them within a few hours,” one commenter said.

“Haven’t run into anybody selling them yet,” another added. “I’ll pick one up and put it on when I do.”

Another said they "donate every year," but don't feel the need to wear a "pin or adornment ... to indicate to society at large what I am supporting."

One commenter admitted though they'd long been a poppy wearer, they "have struggled in the last few years."

"I have a friend who joined the armed forces about a decade ago," they shared. "The longer he is in, the more negative things he and his peers have to say about the Legion (to whom the donations go)."

The same user added: "I am starting to struggle because poppies have become associated with patriotism, and patriotism has become politicized in a really awful way. I think the decline in poppies is happening right alongside a decline in people displaying the Canadian flag for fear of being associated with "those people,'" which the "exhauster" commenter suggested patriotism got "wrapped up with the convoy idiots."

Several posters expressed caution about donating to the Legion, which they felt wasn’t a bipartisan organization, leaning in favour of the Conservative party in Canada, and the Tory party in the UK.

"The Legions are usually very best friends forever and ever with the Conservative party with all that can imply," a user said. "I find myself working with them for various things and [it's] a bit...hazy...what good works they are doing.

ty for sharing this look into some people's beliefs :3

the internet is so great for that :3

(oy, I remember the days when I was a Western Canadian Nationalist, when I felt that having a Canadian flag was too much Patriotism and "loud" lol glad I got over that...not intentionally, as I find most beliefs to be...)

i remember coming across this guy who even connected Anti Vaxxers with antiSOGI (a term at that time i hadn't heard before) and MAGA and transphobic and even showing CDN flags on cars as an indicator of that and was sad that the flag had become an indicator of them

I tried to help him by reasurring him he did not have to give Them power over the flag, that he could fly the flag with pride etc :3

(the whole convo started with me being happy with seeing all these Canadian flags around and he replied that they probably were Them as above...I replied what a weird thing to say aboot a stranger who we don't know anything aboot and then he explained further...)

All of these beliefs are so fascinating

Ordering and even controlling people's Worlds...

Last edited:
Like the whole Kek frog...remember when it became in some circles a sign of actual White Supremacy?

And then in Hong Kong it became a symbol of the student's struggle for freedom?

Beliefs are so neat :3

We tend to see what we believe

Esp when trigger situations or very charged situations

And once someone categorizes somethng or someone as something, they are less likely to change, as we will use our confirmation bias to keep what we believe

So a stupid libtard will still be interpreted as such

Or an antivaxxer

Or whatever...

Again, beliefs are fascinating

Even amongst my own kind, like LGBTetc folx

Lots of different beliefs

Even amongs self identified Trans, they have different beliefs as what constitutes Trans etc

another great thing aboot what you wrote aboot is that, unlike most forms of communication, reddit convos are forever

once on the internet it is always there :3

so one can keep track of one's own opinions and beliefs over time :3

Sometimes there are alternate facts that create disbeliefs in a small portion ... but the bulk follows anyway it can due to being told to fall in line!

Crossing is not allowed or you're out and discriminatingly eliminated as light in the night of sol! Patriot -ism characterized as a Mule Team? Off they go into the desert searching for salts ... stuff of the earth! Its biblical and also involved in cell structures or nerve variety ... nerve-Annah? Deep in the structures ...

Out of the ba*uches is something else ...

another great thing aboot what you wrote aboot is that, unlike most forms of communication, reddit convos are forever

Only as long as there is electricity, and computers. You seem awfully "forever" sure about that fact. A book chiselled into stone is probably closer to forever. But no guarantee that there will be accurate translations of a foreign language.

Only as long as there is electricity, and computers. You seem awfully "forever" sure about that fact. A book chiselled into stone is probably closer to forever. But no guarantee that there will be accurate translations of a foreign language.
And only as long as Pauli's Exclusion Principle, the speed of light, and so forth still hold indeed as well. So many contigencies, eh? So many contained in everything written as well, which are never the objects they describe :3

For really message lasting stone seems to be best :3

Just conversations online seem, a la Marhsall McLuhan "the medium is the message", to be quite different than face to face convos, no?

Once you post something, it stays there. I am sure you have heard people say "think before posting?"

Nice to "hear" from yas!

I wear a poppy but resent the Legion insisting on wearing poppies in a way that lets them fall out quickly. I also resent their insistence on having a monopoly over poppies and criticising the white poppies. Lastly, the promotion of wreaths to be laid on Remembrance Day turns the ceremony into an ordeal when there are 30 to 50 wreaths to be laid.

I haven't had a poppy in a long time - practicality.
Less places having a spot to get one, plus me just not going out. Definitely since 2019 haven't come across a spot. Even if I did - would have I have physical cash?

I remember years ago an editorial complaining about students wearing them on a backpack. Think about where a backpack strap hits though - particularly when they are heavy it's incredibly difficult to wear a poppy in the 'right' place.

Back