Old Family Photos

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Since you're here, Pinga, here's a good Pinga question.

I had a ton of photos, on the drive of an iMac, that died. Drive won't spin. What are my chances of finding someone to maybe retrieve?

If anyone is considering taking on family photos as a project, I am here to tell you that you will uncover many of them in unexpected places!

You will find they don't all reside in albums or even in boxes of photos in the attic.

If anyone is considering taking on family photos as a project, I am here to tell you that you will uncover many of them in unexpected places!

You will find they don't all reside in albums or even in boxes of photos in the attic.
Lol, where did you find some? We had a drawer full in the china cabinet (hutch) . My parents had them in the drawers of their end tables and coffee tanles

A friend discovered layers of photos in frames. Her parents had just put a new photo on top of the existing one. They were careful to check possible places after finding some treasures in a jewelry box

Lol, where did you find some?
Some with kids' school records.
Some in a wedding keepsake binder.
A few in books and Bibles
Several with family tree info someone was putting together
Even a few in a box of childhood memorabilia

A friend discovered layers of photos in frames. Her parents had just put a new photo on top of the existing one. They were careful to check possible places after finding some treasures in a jewelry box
My grandparents used to do that with our school photos, not sure if they did it with other frames.

Finishing up my family photograph project today.

Been finding I get more ruthless as I get further into it. Tossed pictures of scenery & sunsets first. Then tossed all unrecognizable people. Then duplicates. Then the near duplicates - - you know the ones where multiple shots are taken within seconds of each other. I kept the best ones and got rid of the others.

Extra school photos are now gone.

And today I took the bold step of getting rid of all unknown ancestors. The problem is everyone's ancestors of a certain vintage look alike. Same poses, hairstyles, facial hair and clothing.

Mr Paradox has some of these pix too. They look so much like my ancestors we were wondering if we got them mixed up somehow.

I did keep the duplicates of known ancestors from a hundred years ago or more.

Very unburdening.

Despite saying the project was done a few days ago, I have found a few more things to do!

Remember those old magnetic photo albums? The pages were a heavy cardboard with a sticky surface and there was a plastic overlay.

I have a few in my possession and have been taking a closer look. Some of the pictures come out really easily. Others might as well be set in cement.

Not sure if the age of the album makes a difference. It might depend on the type of finish on the photo.

Photography sites caution that these albums will eventually harm or destroy your pictures. They are still for sale however.

Despite saying the project was done a few days ago, I have found a few more things to do!

Remember those old magnetic photo albums? The pages were a heavy cardboard with a sticky surface and there was a plastic overlay.

I have a few in my possession and have been taking a closer look. Some of the pictures come out really easily. Others might as well be set in cement.

Not sure if the age of the album makes a difference. It might depend on the type of finish on the photo.

Photography sites caution that these albums will eventually harm or destroy your pictures. They are still for sale however.
I thought it depended on what the sleeve/overlay was made of in terms of destroying the pictures.

If the photos are gued down like they are in cement, you could easily get rid of the plastic overlay.
Although I have found pictures can stick together if facing each other. having something inbetweener the pages prevents those on the left side from sticking to those on the right side.

Although I have found pictures can stick together if facing each other. having something inbetweener the pages prevents those on the left side from sticking to those on the right side.
Ahh. Good to know.

Back