Natural or Artificial?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Natural or artificial?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jae

Which is your preference? Personally, I prefer natural but all the ones I've seen thus far here in Korea have been artificial.

Personally, I prefer natural aesthetically. It's arguably better for the environment, too, provided it's a farmed tree and not taken from nature. However, they are a bit of a pain (have to be watered, shed needles, etc.) and we are often away for part of the season so it's not really a good plan for us. Thus, I have a nice 7' artificial that I put up when I put one up at all. As I said, we are often away for part of the season, which tends to lead me to not bother a lot of the time. If I put it up this year, it won't be until Christmas Eve since we're leaving on our holiday family vacation early this year.

Personally, I prefer natural aesthetically. It's arguably better for the environment, too, provided it's a farmed tree and not taken from nature. However, they are a bit of a pain (have to be watered, shed needles, etc.) and we are often away for part of the season so it's not really a good plan for us. Thus, I have a nice 7' artificial that I put up when I put one up at all. As I said, we are often away for part of the season, which tends to lead me to not bother a lot of the time. If I put it up this year, it won't be until Christmas Eve since we're leaving on our holiday family vacation early this year.

How is a farmed tree better for the environment than one taken from nature (I honestly don't know). One of my uncles had forest at the back of hos 100 acre farm and he would chop down a tree from there every Christmastime.

How is a farmed tree better for the environment than one taken from nature (I honestly don't know). One of my uncles had forest at the back of hos 100 acre farm and he would chop down a tree from there every Christmastime.

Farmed were grown to be cut down. And a new one will get planted to replace it. If it's a natural tree in a natural area, it is unlikely to be replaced and may impact wildlife or other parts of the ecosystem.

Reactions: Jae
The cats like attacking/climbing the tree, so this year went with one about 2 feet tall that is on top of a cabinet. The cats have so far left it alone. Oh, and it is a fake tree, not a sapling cut down the prime of it's youth. ;)

Farmed were grown to be cut down. And a new one will get planted to replace it. If it's a natural tree in a natural area, it is unlikely to be replaced and may impact wildlife or other parts of the ecosystem.

Hmm... I don't know about the "unlikely" part. Trees have replaced themselves in forests for thousands of years. Perhaps "less likely."

Hmm... I don't know about the "unlikely" part. Trees have replaced themselves in forests for thousands of years. Perhaps "less likely."

The fact is, they can't reproduce fast enough to keep up with us cutting them down. That's why Southern Ontario is no longer forested. Whereas there's an economic incentive for us to replace farmed trees, else the farmer won't have trees to sell eventually.

Real for the primary tree. I love the smell. I love the look. (I don't like my allergic reaction to it if I forget to wear long sleeves).

i have a small tree like you see in a decorator shop with fabric and glitter. Picked up 2 years ago at an outlet. Love it. Was on my buffet, now on the hearth.

I also have a 3' artificial tree with white lights out in the sunroom. I like how it reflects in the windows.

Which is your preference? Personally, I prefer natural but all the ones I've seen thus far here in Korea have been artificial.
Natural
With free range children as fertilizer
The ensuing fruits are simply D I V I N E

Mammon Prometheus,
Inannawhimsey

Artificial (I've had it for 25 years and it still sheds needles, and still has some, lol; I think they breed.)

I am desperately allergic to evergreen vegetation in an enclosed space. Even makes our peace labyrinth difficult for me sometimes.

Natural ... NB we are here inundated with small trees ... because of Ire vin GS interference industries!

We have a pretty healthy white pine nursery on the property. We figure thinning it out 1 young white pine per annum will not create any long-term issue.

I try to pick young trees threatened by larger and older neighbours. We had an older tree fall last year that uprooted two saplings in the process.

Once there is no call for the tree it is taken outdoors, allowed to dry and trimmed to kindling.

bought a 7' fir tree Saturday. It went up, and is awaiting lights to be placed, then we will decorate.

Oh yes, had forgotten about that tradition. I think I prefer his jazzed up Christmas tree.

My granddaughter picked out that one. The major advantage of the Christmas rock is how much better it is for the environment.

Back