Member vs Adherent

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

paradox3

Peanuts Fan
Pronouns
She/Her/Her
Is there even a difference anymore? It seems to me I heard that the rules were changing a few years ago.

It used to be that adherents could not vote at congregational meetings unless a special motion was passed. Wasn't there still a type of motion they could not vote on? Calling a minister, maybe?

Has the policy changed,? Does anyone know?

They had the special vote at our annual meeting this year. I'm a member at one congregation and adherent in another. We'll probably do the transfer in the fall.

They had the special vote at our annual meeting this year. I'm a member at one congregation and adherent in another. We'll probably do the transfer in the fall.
I am in the same situation exactly. My ashes will eventually be interred in the cemetery of the one I don't attend.

Several years ago, I visited Allegheny Village near Rochester, an authentic early 19th century village near Rochester, NY. The site was full of guides dressed according to that period. 2 buildings stood out for me: the old schoolhouse and the old Methodist church.

Young children there actually went to school and also dressed for that period, the little girls with cute bonnets, etc. They wrote with quilt pens that they had to dip in inkwells! Great way to teach history to young kids.

I was amused the old Methodist church. Except for 2 rows, pews were gated with plaques bearing the names of members who bought them.
They were well cushioned and very comfortable, The front 2 rows were reserved for "adherents" who had not bought a pew. These pews had no cushions and were so upright that they were very uncomfortable to sit in. Our guide told us these uncomfortable pews were made deliberately unconfortable as an incentive to pony up the money to buy a pew! The Free Methodist denomination was formed by Methodists who wanted all pews to be free.
A register lay on a small table in the narthex with the names of all attenders. They were marked "Present" or "Absent" and if they missed 3 Sundays in a row, they were marked "Neglect!" and a stern elder would pay them a visit to hold them accountable.
Ah for the good old days when membership meant something!:cautious:

Several years ago, I visited Allegheny Village near Rochester, an authentic early 19th century village near Rochester, NY. The site was full of guides dressed according to that period. 2 buildings stood out for me: the old schoolhouse and the old Methodist church.

Young children there actually went to school and also dressed for that period, the little girls with cute bonnets, etc. They wrote with quilt pens that they had to dip in inkwells! Great way to teach history to young kids.

I was amused the old Methodist church. Except for 2 rows, pews were gated with plaques bearing the names of members who bought them.
They were well cushioned and very comfortable, The front 2 rows were reserved for "adherents" who had not bought a pew. These pews had no cushions and were so upright that they were very uncomfortable to sit in. Our guide told us these uncomfortable pews were made deliberately unconfortable as an incentive to pony up the money to buy a pew! The Free Methodist denomination was formed by Methodists who wanted all pews to be free.
A register lay on a small table in the narthex with the names of all attenders. They were marked "Present" or "Absent" and if they missed 3 Sundays in a row, they were marked "Neglect!" and a stern elder would pay them a visit to hold them accountable.
Ah for the good old days when membership meant something!:cautious:

And in the sayings of the freedom of belief ... many were dismembered!

One rule was that only members could vote on calls and certain property issues and the closure or merger of the congregation. It became a problem when some congregations only had adherents left.

Other than the voting issue, what is the difference between a member and an adherent? Churches sure do make things complicated!

Other than the voting issue, what is the difference between a member and an adherent? Churches sure do make things complicated!
There is no other difference AFAIK.

One becomes a member by formally transferring from another congregation (can be a different denomination).or making a profession of faith.

Adherents are people who attend without having done either of the above. Sometimes adherents are very involved in congregational life.

A few years ago there was talk about doing away with the distinction between members and adherents but I don't know if this happened.

UUs have a similar concept of "Friends" and it is more or less the same. I was editing the church website and newsletter before I was a member but didn't have a vote at congregational meetings.

We also have our Giving Units. Only the finance people use this language.

One member or adherent who gives by envelope or PAR is one Giving Unit.

A couple who makes joint contributions is one Giving Unit.

Two people in a couple who contribute separately are two Giving Units.

I think the finance people do certain calculations based on number of giving units.

We also have our Giving Units. Only the finance people use this language.

One member or adherent who gives by envelope or PAR is one Giving Unit.

A couple who makes joint contributions is one Giving Unit.

Two people in a couple who contribute separately are two Giving Units.

I think the finance people do certain calculations based on number of giving units.
Not sure that's so much about membership, though. It is just an accounting convention to simplify budgeting and revenue tracking.

Not sure that's so much about membership, though, as an accounting convention to simplify budgeting and revenue tracking.
Yes exactly.

I just thought I would mention it because Giving Units amused me when I first heard of them.

Other terms used include supporters, financial supporters, regular contributors and others I forgot.

Other terms used include supporters, financial supporters, regular contributors and others I forgot.

Many are forgotten in the obsessive fears about strangers! Look what it did to the light of the middle east ... learning about the strange???? Perhaps an idea to adhere to?

Yet knowledge is still something the powers avoid as bad NU's ...

It is not my experience that "members" "give" more than "adherents".

"Members" are a visual memory on the church's official roll, a real paper copy of members in and out (by death, transfer in/out/ etc.)

Members can be exceptionally determined about their part in controlling the ins and outs and ups and downs ...

Sunday's sermon informed us that the difference in sheep and goats in some regions amounts to critters with tails up or those with them down!

Get that into the record ... someone will counter it ... at the alter ultimate can we oppose stuff that can't be escaped unless you are of the essence?

Thus beyond bodily impression ... mire ghost of your former self ... people are just determined to be chaos and disturbing and dissonant appearing as Eris ... not ersine ... a term that defines bare in the forest ... some go there for the cover! Vertigos ... vert edge 'nous ... vegetating as spawn ...

Last edited:
I worked on updating our sadly neglected Historic Roll recently. To my surprise, I discovered several of our members who are on the Official Board, and some who are Trustees, and one who is a LLWL --- are not listed as members. When I brought it up, no one seemed to care. I thought it could be easily fixed if there was any sort of will to do so.

Back