Mammograms and breast screening

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Interestingly enough, my sister informed me yesterday that she was having "thermography" to detect for breast cancer. She said her doctor recommended it for her because she has "dense breasts" . It's painless and doesn't use radiation.
Quite frankly I hadn't heard of it so I looked it up, seems it isn't the best way to diagnose breast cancer and is not recommended by the Canadian Cancer Society.

Canadian Cancer Society's perspective on thermography - Canadian

Thermography has a high false negative rate which means not detecting cancer when it actually is present:

Mammography vs. thermography: Comparing the benefits
I've heard of it. Pushed by quite a few pseudoscience practitioners. Which isn't to say there's no science behind using thermography for mammograms, but in general the accuracy of it lags behind mammograms. I could see it being beneficial as a supplement to mammograms or in a situation where a mammogram isn't feasible for whatever reason.
I have never looked into any studies on it, but just knowing the technology, I would guess MRIs would be an accurate tool. Unfortunately cost is an issue - both in terms of the magnets, as well as time and staff.

Tabitha, just catching up on your note. I am thankful you are well, if still a bit wondering.

Dr's office called this morning. Message is that all is ok and to have another mammogram in 6 months. I'm mostly but not entirely relieved. I wonder what they saw and why they want to see if it changes in 6 month? I was on every other year or so.
Any chance of calling back to the clinic to speak to the radiologist for explanation?

Any chance of calling back to the clinic to speak to the radiologist for explanation?
Will they do that? Any diagnostic stuff I had zero info given during in terms of what could be seen. All answers always given by my doctor, not a radiologist.

When I had a call back situation I was told -the machines in the mobile clinic are good, but the regular ones are better. The mobile staff read the images and flag everything that looks a bit different and send people for a follow up to be sure. After follow up mammograms and ultra sounds in a small city I was sent for a biopsy at the breast cancer clinic in a bigger city. There I was told that everything was good - and confirmed my belief that it is all a trust issue and I have no option but to trust their diagnosis! Several deep breaths and -

Keep Calm and Carry On!

and the result was I was told it was suspicious to follow up in 6 months and repeat tests but not to worry.

So apparently it is 6 months. Received calls both from the hospital and dr. while in ON. I have mammogram and ultrasound test tomorrow. Only wrinkle is that it is same day/time as my youngest's follow up apt from his Lazer eye surgery-in a different city. So will take him up today and he will overnight with his brother.

Good solution, Tab.

Between this and a scary story from my neighbour across the street, guess I'd better complete my three-year-delayed mammogram...

Fingers crossed all is well. Breast tissue fat can dramatically affect results. Less accurate in young women

Best wishes

BetteTheRed - PLEASE hustle your butt into the correct place for your overdue mammogram!

I will. I'm pretty good about 'real' risks. No breast cancer in my family, either side. Fair bit of bowel/colon, though, so I'm immaculate at getting my colonoscopies on time (because of risk factors and polyps, I'm on the perpetual five year plan).

But the scary story from my neighbour across the road was just that - scary. She was in for her regular mammogram in December and got the all clear. This spring a lump appeared from nowhere, and turns out that she's got liver cancer, which has metastasized to breast. s**tty news, and she was doing the right thing...

Well yes ... doing the right thing is good, and helpful, but not foolproof. Sad to hear this news - and yes, get thee to the mammo!

My sympathy to your neighbour who got totally unexpected news. Taking care, doing the best you can doesn't always prevent health problems.

Back