"Like"

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Jae

Recently, a few posters have said on posts that they've made, 'It would not be appropriate to 'Like' this post."

Which, of course, begs the question of when it _is_ appropriate to 'Like.'

Recently, a few posters have said on posts that they've made, 'It would not be appropriate to 'Like' this post."

There are basically five reasons why I click the "Like" link.

1) Someone posts an opinion which I agree with.

2) Soneone posts something which I do not agree with but I feel they have said it well. This may be because they've added fresh insight into a discussion that's been going on for some time.

3) Someone posts good news.

4) Someone posts something that I find amusing or humorous.

5) Someone speaks encouragement into the life of someone else.

Those are my main reasons. What are yours?

Jae said:

I actually don't think that is the question that is begged for.

If somebody says, "It would not be appropriate to 'Like' this post" the question that begs is , "why would it be inappropriate to 'like' this post?"

Since we do not have the option of disliking a post or agreeing that a post describes a tragedy we are limited in the affirmation we offer to liking.

When somebody posts something tragic how can that be "liked?' without causing others to wonder just what is there to be liked about the tragedy.

As to your criteria in dishing out the likes I notice that you don't include commentary on sad or tragic circumstance. So perhaps you would not have been inclined to 'like' one of the posts so qualified. I do note that creteria #2 does open that door and maybe whomever is posting the comments isn't looking for affirmation or support so much as they are busy lamenting the subject of the post themselves.

When somebody posts something tragic how can that be "liked?' without causing others to wonder just what is there to be liked about the tragedy.

I find I would rather hit reply and respond than just hit a button for something like this. A message of support, however brief, seems more appropriate than a simple "Like" or whatever.

Reactions: Jae
I actually don't think that is the question that is begged for.

If somebody says, "It would not be appropriate to 'Like' this post" the question that begs is , "why would it be inappropriate to 'like' this post?"

Since we do not have the option of disliking a post or agreeing that a post describes a tragedy we are limited in the affirmation we offer to liking.

As to your criteria in dishing out the likes I notice that you don't include commentary on sad or tragic circumstance. So perhaps you would not have been inclined to 'like' one of the posts so qualified. I do note that creteria #2 does open that door and maybe whomever is posting the comments isn't looking for affirmation or support so much as they are busy lamenting the subject of the post themselves.

I would agree that there's nothing to be liked about a tragedy. However, what can be very often liked are the responses to the tragedy. When someone shows empathy or sympathy, I very often like and appreciate that.

I find I would rather hit reply and respond than just hit a button for something like this. A message of support, however brief, seems more appropriate than a simple "Like" or whatever.

That sounds like excellent practice Mendalla.

With the exception of when someone learns something from a tragedy ... consider this potential ... some just eliminate the whole idea ... just to be part of the emote ...

How many tragedies are repeated over and over ... like disadvantaged lives ... lacking many factors ...

It is a large image of small situations ...

Mendalla said:

A sensible solution.

I notice facebook has allowed for emoji responses so that like is not the only possibility and there can be somewhat clearer communication about the sentiments a post raises in individuals.

Jae said:
I would agree that there's nothing to be liked about a tragedy. However, what can be very often liked are the responses to the tragedy. When someone shows empathy or sympathy, I very often like and appreciate that.

In that event Mendalla's response, though more time consuming, does a better job of conveying actual sentiment. That strikes me as a very good reason to avoid the like button and possibly adding confusion to an already difficult post.

A sensible solution.

I notice facebook has allowed for emoji responses so that like is not the only possibility and there can be somewhat clearer communication about the sentiments a post raises in individuals.

Would it be possible to have something like that on WC2 @Mendalla?

Would it be possible to have something like that on WC2 @Mendalla?

Only if Xenforo adds it. There may be add-ons for features like that but we're trying to keep our system as "vanilla" as possible. Avoids issues with upgrades.

Right now, we're waiting on the final feature set for version 2.0 of Xenforo (we're on 1.5.13, the latest general release). It is possible they might do something like that, given that they do tend to ape (pun semi-intended) what social media are doing. However, 2.0 been in development for a couple years so no idea when it will be finalized and tested, let alone generally available.

I have recently stated in another thread that I will no longer be hitting the Like button on anyone's posts. I like most of the posts that I read ... for the sheer reason that I like that people are posting - whether I like what they have to say or not. I am trying to reply more ... it is really hard not to just hit that Like Button though ...:oops:

I have recently stated in another thread that I will no longer be hitting the Like button on anyone's posts. I like most of the posts that I read ... for the sheer reason that I like that people are posting - whether I like what they have to say or not. I am trying to reply more ... it is really hard not to just hit that Like Button though ...:oops:

Good for you Monk. If we all limited ourselves to hitting the like button rather than responding there wouldn't be much discussion going on.
I would much rather have someone respond, even if its just a line or two, than just see the 'like'.
On the other hand, sometimes 'like' is the appropriate response (ie several people are involved in a discussion; I'm following along and enjoying it but have nothing to add. Someone posts somethign I find particularly interesting or well said, I hit 'like'; or on the joke thread I 'like' a joke without having another at the tip of my fingers.)

Reactions: Jae
Emoji's represent opinion, or emote 'n ...

These are not fully communicable about the concept of information and intelligence ... then do brutes like intelligence and intellectii as illuminating on the face of IDee ... that was once a primal force ... or stuff of the ID! Wizardry? Too quick for the brute forces ... like Goliath as laid out ... a very substantially, unknown Hebrew icon ... or Semite! These can cause bricking of Camelot!

Thus there is A' Moor to word than is apparent ... supporting the manifestation of fate of words miss pelt as faith on the surface of IT! There are 3 fates and 3 counter fates ... if you know the myths of these intangible attributes of communicability ... social exchange as dialectic? Most choose confrontational to support the mental struggle ... thus mortal (limited) success stories that in time must repeat divers lye ... where as in timeless form they just go on ... we do not have the potential for timeless clairvoyance ... or am I wrong, thei sway?

Last edited:
My favourite emoji was one lately introduced to United Online.

Hopping mad.

A little red firey angry dude who bounced up and down.

Was great for levity, I don't think any of us ever used it while angry.

I'm always disappointed when I break down and reach for an emoji and hopping mad isn't there.

Sometimes I wish the button read "agree" rather than "like" - or maybe we could have one of each?

My favourite emoji was one lately introduced to United Online.

Hopping mad.

A little red firey angry dude who bounced up and down.

Was great for levity, I don't think any of us ever used it while angry.

I'm always disappointed when I break down and reach for an emoji and hopping mad isn't there.

We have this guy. :mad:

Back