The WonderArt Thread

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Saw some art on the street today
Chalk saying: "Hong Kong wins when Ukraine wins"
"Hong Kong wins when Iran, Burma and Venezuela wins"

Nope, don't know what it means either

I'm not entirely sure how/why "nation/states" "win", except for actual territory acquisition.

Saw some art on the street today
Chalk saying: "Hong Kong wins when Ukraine wins"
"Hong Kong wins when Iran, Burma and Venezuela wins"

Nope, don't know what it means either
They are saying, in essence, that if other countries get their freedom and human rights, it puts pressure on China to give Hong Kong the same. At least that's how I read it.

I'm not entirely sure how/why "nation/states" "win", except for actual territory acquisition.
Which then suggests this is not really applicable. It is statement about the people, not the nation, winning when freedom and human rights are upheld.

And this is really not what I envisaged for this thread. It is a place for US to share OUR creative works, not talk about those of others, which could be in their own threads. I know that horse left the barn a while ago, but just pointing that out.

In a now famous commencement speech at The University of the Arts in Philadelphia, the author Neil Gaiman (yes, him again) ended with the following advice to the grads:

So this is the thread where the denizens of Wondercafe2 are invited to show how they are taking Neil's advice. Post your original stories, poems, pictures of your visual art works, or whatever else you consider to be your "art".

A few guidelines/rules:

- Must be ORIGINAL works by YOU. If you want a thread to share art by others that you admire, we can start one. This thread is for YOUR work.

- WC2 Code of Conduct rules hold, so nothing too NSFW (Not Safe For Work/Wondercafe2, i.e. go easy on the foul language, no overly explicit sex, keep the violence within reason). That said, I do ask that the mods to go easy in this thread as I don't want this to become a battleground over community standards.

- This is not a thread for critiquing the work being posted (though a simple like or brief supportive comment would be okay). I want it to be a safe, friendly space for people to exercise their creativity. Put discussions, reviews, critiques, etc. of the works posted in another thread.

- Copyright remains in your hands. Put a copyright statement on it if you wish. I recommend it myself so if it gets scooped on to another site (yes, it goes on), you have something to point to when you send a take down notice. I also ask that we respect each other's intellectual property rights. I know not everyone on WC2 believes in the idea of intellectual property, but I hope we can agree to respect it in this thread out of respect for each other.

- If you have things posted on other sites that you wish to use, best to link to them rather than repost. This is more advice than a rule, though. The other site may have rules about reposting and linking and you should respect those so check before doing so.

Incidentally, the full commencement address is mandatory reading for anyone aspiring to the arts IMHO. Neil has some great ideas on how to be an artist.

Now, go make some art.
For reference, here is the opening post.

There is so much that is not understood by the populace for reason we cannot readily accept for taking sides ... the medium falls into nothing ... dark chaos ...

One has to go there to learn much ... some neuropsychologists call this psychotic ... powers hate it because it is a mystical thing ... amethyst? Purple from held breath ... near Black!

For reference, here is the opening post.

Remember there is nothing new under the sun given the eternal time that rare light has had to ponder the unknown ...

Eternal and infinite is a difficult concept for mortal entities sent out to investigate the alternate side of what is claimed absolute ... generally unknown!

I had difficult times in my career with people that said they knew all they needed to know although something incarnated as deficient! I've heard that from the next generation, so it still goes ... expect a lot of rewording as a strange force builds extensive metaphors ... why? This too is unknown but perhaps to keep thing unknown in the fiasco ... life is like that in the scrambles and dashes OHM Dei? Always 2 sides to it and dividing ... aephes ... eggs? They role ...

And this is really not what I envisaged for this thread. It is a place for US to share OUR creative works, not talk about those of others, which could be in their own threads. I know that horse left the barn a while ago, but just pointing that out.
Apologies to you

New comp on Stories Space (as discussed in Ape's Writing Thread) with the theme "Myths & Monsters" and my entry is now done and in. Back when my family used to spend summers in Haliburton County, some fun was had with the idea of a "xx Lake Monster" due to my fondness for reading about what are now called "cryptids" (Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, Ogopogo). So I kind of ran with that idea, tossing a bit of kaiju movie inspiration in as well, to create some summer cottage mayhem that I call, "The Summer Beast".

I came fourth out of ten, just out of the money. However, I had already picked the three who did win as the top three so no surprise or disappointment. It was a good, but sadly rather small, field for this one. I highly recommend all the entries, but a personal fave is "Queen of the Turbines" by the excellent KatarinaTechGoddess, which takes place just West of me along highway 402 (she lives in Florida but has family in Michigan and came up to Ontario on her last visit).

Here's the comp page so you can see the final list of entries and winners:

I came fourth out of ten, just out of the money. However, I had already picked the three who did win as the top three so no surprise or disappointment. It was a good, but sadly rather small, field for this one. I highly recommend all the entries, but a personal fave is "Queen of the Turbines" by the excellent KatarinaTechGoddess, which takes place just West of me along highway 402 (she lives in Florida but has family in Michigan and came up to Ontario on her last visit).

Thus noble besties that have corrupted like bad tomatoes ... spirited Caesars? Dunne gone ...

And mmm mmm mmm tasty imaginings :3

The first place winner I actually chuckled at the end.
Fun Lovecraft/cosmic horror too :3 (I think Thomas Ligotti is currently the best at Cosmic Horror...)

I look forward to reading them all

The first place winner I actually chuckled at the end.
That's my favorite of the bunch. Verbal's a retired academic who is now writing pretty much fulltime. Smart guy and a heck of a writer. Like me, a kaiju fan from a ways back and often uses Godzilla, Gamera, and Ghidorah as avatars. He claims he can't do horror as well as me but he did it pretty dang good there.

My erotic writing often tends to the more romantic end of the smut spectrum. Just enjoy the character interaction more than the sex. My new one is very much in that realm. A man answers a knock on his door to find a bedraggled and desperate young woman there. He takes her in and offers kindess, opening the door to a rather steamy relationship. Rather than not posting the link, I thought it would keep me within the new values statement if I spoiler it with an explicit content warning. If you disagree, drop me a note or report it and I'll consider taking it down.

So many folk do not believe that Love, God and everything is messy ...

Just discuss what is contained within the cover of restricted tomes ... the bible is coveted because of its misinformed evolution ... many believe it set and fixed as an edifice ... then the cathedral burns down ... and the surroundings suffer toxicity ... lead, etc.

Political partying is a good example of how screwing about legitimately is diverting ... even got Giuliani divested of his charter and in power he was blinded TU it! If in doubt just ask a perfect Christian ... Tobias? That is the following thing ... it carries ... expect implications! It could get waxed ... or unwaxed in the heat ... word is like that! Meltdown ... recall the diabolical looks on ... from (you know) far cide ... in ci deous? --- Ignatius ... Aga the? It's Ur fault ...

Last edited:
Cleaning up a pile of papers that have been sitting on my desk, I found notes from a retreat we did at my house I kind of liked this poem I wrote ( really feel I need to get more into poetry reading and maybe even writing):

Six women met
to open doors
for themselves and each other
inviting the spirit to join

Uninvited
my anger and frustration
popped by to visit

The time stopped
words hung in the air
until some light fell
over the sill of another door
opened collectively
Lets not go there

Stepping backwards
it swung open with might
the candle light reflected
glowing beauty on wrinkled faces and lives
as I watched them opening wisdoms door

Don’t trust, it’s not real
the trap door whispered
spirit does not work in groups
remember Hitler,
remember how easy the tide turns
Pushing people out collectively
this is just the pretty side of the same coin

Awoken after midnight
by words mixed with tears
the spirit coaxes forward another step
reluctantly
fascinated by the memory of their glow
slowly leaving my living room
To go into the world
with imperfect kindness

Thanks for sharing that, @Mrs.Anteater. I like it. I stumbled over some old poems and poetry fragments of mine in a forgotten Evernote notebook and copied them to my current Writer's Notebook, which is in Microsoft OneNote. Might polish/finish them for posting eventually.

Back