Rev. Dr. George Hermanson (Panentheism on Wondercafe)

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Speak of philosophy to believers that state they have it all in hand ... and watch the scattering as they lose there stele ...

I don't agree with all his ideas -but do in the main.
He's been a guest on Homebrewed Christianity quite a few times and seems like a fairly engaging sort of guy from his conversations with Tripp Fuller. Tripp himself is also heavily into open/relational theology and did his doctorate at Claremont with Philip Clayton as his supervisor. I believe George knew Tripp or at least had met him. Actually, now that I think of it, isn't George acknowledged or even mentioned/cited in God Can't? Or am I thinking of another Oord book?

He's been a guest on Homebrewed Christianity quite a few times and seems like a fairly engaging sort of guy from his conversations with Tripp Fuller. Tripp himself is also heavily into open/relational theology and did his doctorate at Claremont with Philip Clayton as his supervisor. I believe George knew Tripp or at least had met him. Actually, now that I think of it, isn't George acknowledged or even mentioned/cited in God Can't? Or am I thinking of another Oord book?
Yes, George gets an acknowledgement in God Can't..........
When I was in Claremont for the seminar in 2019, Tripp Fuller was one of the tutors. Also Donna Bowman and Catherine Keller......

Seriously, Mendalla, Process Thought is a great philosophy, if you can't accept it as a faith.

Yes, George gets an acknowledgement in God Can't..........
When I was in Claremont for the seminar in 2019, Tripp Fuller was one of the tutors. Also Donna Bowman and Catherine Keller......

Seriously, Mendalla, Process Thought is a great philosophy, if you can't accept it as a faith.

So it goes as eternal wanderings ...

Was just thinking about Pan's posts. They were long and rambling and full of typos yet he was a great teacher.

Errors and flaws draw extreme attention from those that sense knowing better ... and yet they just can't grasp the Pro Phun ditty ... very cowed ... due to herd mentality that is et al ... overhead?

Some say et tu ... and thus the Brutus response ...

So, I have to know, is he as boisterous and talkative in that setting as on the podcast? 'Cause dang, Tripp sometimes takes over from the poor guest at times when he gets rambling.
Ha ha, I know what you mean........ His enthusiasm overflows, which I can appreciate - but there were times I wish I had a plug to stop the gushing.......

Was just thinking about Pan's posts. They were long and rambling and full of typos yet he was a great teacher.
And I found out after the Great WC experiment was over from him that he had been trying to convert/proslytize me lol

He has such a great sense of life and humour

He tried to lure me (just like the Process Theology God does) to a conference in Ottawa :3

And goodonya @PilgrimsProgress
You are famouser

Yeah Process Theology is fun
Glad Oord listened to you
Yeah can be far too academic and abstract
After all, one of its inventors is Alfred Whitehead, who along with Bertrand Russell created an Absolutely Perfect Work

(That then helped Kurt Godel discover that in this Perfection there was multitudes...his Incompleteness Theorem)

Yeah can be far too academic and abstract
Something that Oord has done great work to remedy, but it is still going to be fighting that image for a long time to come. It was the province of academic theology for too long and only in recent decades have you had people with more of a pastoral background embracing it and trying to make sense of it for a broader audience. I was talking about Tripp Fuller upthread and one of my issues with him is that he will sometimes just let loose with a storm of theological jargon that would make almost anyone without at least a Master's degree or a strong interest in the subject cross their eyes and pass out.

George was another one who was fighting that tendency, developing meaningful ways of picturing a process Deity without confusing or boring people. His jazz image (or at least the jazz image he used, not sure if he came up with it) for instance.

Something that Oord has done great work to remedy, but it is still going to be fighting that image for a long time to come. It was the province of academic theology for too long and only in recent decades have you had people with more of a pastoral background embracing it and trying to make sense of it for a broader audience. I was talking about Tripp Fuller upthread and one of my issues with him is that he will sometimes just let loose with a storm of theological jargon that would make almost anyone without at least a Master's degree or a strong interest in the subject cross their eyes and pass out.

George was another one who was fighting that tendency, developing meaningful ways of picturing a process Deity without confusing or boring people. His jazz image (or at least the jazz image he used, not sure if he came up with it) for instance.

In a world set on simple ... how else to define parables, legends and parables! The reality must remain submerged ... whatever ... Sus-la ...

Blessed Be!

I have noticed similar issues with CSJ material
Too much of the originaring theories are written in academicese -- I sometimes wonder if some academics intentionally write this way ad a sort of code to protect their work?

So bless those who can translate these abstruse jargony ideas into more Plain Language :3

Sophia works in mysterious ways :3

Blessed Be!

I have noticed similar issues with CSJ material
Too much of the originaring theories are written in academicese -- I sometimes wonder if some academics intentionally write this way ad a sort of code to protect their work?

So bless those who can translate these abstruse jargony ideas into more Plain Language :3

Sophia works in mysterious ways :3

This may be resolved with excavation of myths ... many wouldn't go that far except for falling from the field (once a Wahl)!

There agga tha was cracked ... brain scatter ... no just the spirit there ovid! So much buried there to be taken as rouse ... therein the rube ... some give it friction ... and thus flames ... concepts and comprehensions of unaged sol ... the mellowing stage ... when you reason that it was all messed up ... and attempt to leave a rendition which the powers down can't render ... too many word? It being the quantity and not the quality as a very dark pool ... not properly lined up for the smudging and smear ... the populace is like that when illiterate about great books when distracted by great characters of the layout ... know noos is goode ... newt! Chaos thus extends ... due to disposal ... denyed?

Some of the mosaic has no grip ... because of high glaze ... by god that might not beit! Literary dispersion ...

So some are pre disposed ...

Last edited:

Just to be clear, Process Theology isn't my faith, but rather a framework for my faith. It's ideas are just a wonderful guide to living your best life.

I want more people to understand it, hence my criticism of it being too wordy, too intellectual and thus too obscure for most people.
I find it disturbing that Fundamentalism and Pentecostalism dominate Christian thought these days - and an obscure Process Theology isn't helping.

We're living in an increasingly complex world and people are drawn to certainty -so doubt and uncertainty are not favoured by many. When it comes to faith many are attracted to Fundamentalism or atheistic...... We are becoming people of the binary.

Just to be clear, Process Theology isn't my faith, but rather a framework for my faith. It's ideas are just a wonderful guide to living your best life.

I want more people to understand it, hence my criticism of it being too wordy, too intellectual and thus too obscure for most people.
I find it disturbing that Fundamentalism and Pentecostalism dominate Christian thought these days - and an obscure Process Theology isn't helping.

We're living in an increasingly complex world and people are drawn to certainty -so doubt and uncertainty are not favoured by many. When it comes to faith many are attracted to Fundamentalism or atheistic...... We are becoming people of the binary.

Binary ... as in a Duo or divine balance with both spirit and soul ... the singularity is anonymity! Just an expression ...

Back