Living with Covid

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Mrs.Anteater

Just keep going....
I am not talking about long-covid. I am talking about getting back to a “ new normal” despite Covid.
Nova Scotia still has 1-7 people dying of Covid almost daily. Several hundreds testing positive.
Many people have been very careful for two years now, because we have friends who would not fare well if they get infected.
I have had three I have been worried about, my son, another friend who has a medical condition causing him not to get vaccinated and an immunocompromised friend. Just last month, the first two actually had Covid ( the friend never confirmed with a positive test, but it did feel like covid and he took a long time to feel better).
That took a bit of the stress off the unknown. I am still worried about my other friend who I worry that it could kill her. It worries me more than her, I think, she just avoids the thought of it and keeps doing what she has always enjoyed- cooking for a crowd of family and friends for birthdays and holidays. I haven’t seen her in months. I can’t get over the thought: what if I give it to her and she dies from it?
But lately I am thinking: what if she dies from it, and I haven’t spend time with her for months?
We know, it is going to be around. We know, we will all be exposed to it at some point.
How are we going to judge benefits and risks?

Not sure if I discussed this here, but certainly have brought it up. If I got the flu prior to covid, I could go to my doctor or have a phone appointment and get an antiviral that day.
With COVID, I don't mind if a PCR test is an added step, as long as the testing can be done within 24 hours
Until we are at the point where an at-home treatment can be accessed quickly, I don't think we are really out of a pandemic stage.

We have also been moving from one variant to the next, but have had vaccines that are generally available for 1 variant. Having had doses of different vaccines does equate to increased diversity in antibodies. I also wouldn't expect to see the various waves as we have had once things stabilize. Some of that stability will likely be due to antibodies from infection and not just vaccines.

As for masking, I think that can be part of living with covid, especially in hospitals, doctor's clinics, etc. Next flu season we don't want people, especially those with risk factors contracting both at the same time.

Will we expect all of our service providers to mask to help serve our customers? Will we expect the same from the customers? What's going to happen to all of that acrylic barrier stuff?

These are big questions. My wife and her quilting friends in Calgary were discussing that in their Zoom meeting today. One of her friends works in a store where that is a tough issue. I believe we will continue using a mask for all indoor public activities.

I have found things lately to be tough. Chemguy was in Calgary a week ago for a work social event, was a dinner. We had an agreement, he was to wear his mask the entire time and he was going to take his food to the hotel. They had a private room, he decided eating was safe enough, he took an empty table away from everyone when he had his mask off. I disagreed, so he was in isolation for a while until I felt like he was past the point where a rapid test would have likely picked it up.
Today was a similar situation, but it was both work and socializing after. There were 2 separate rooms that were used, so he just ate alone while everyone else ate together.

If it was delta, I would probably be more lax as long as he stayed distanced without a mask, but the current ones just spread too easily.
If I had my booster, with the current numbers we wouldn't be taking all of these precautions, rapid tests would likely have been used after and that would have been it. I still wouldn't be thrilled about the indoor dining in a large group but I know it's already an awkward situation for him.

I am looking forward to seeing my sister's family. I figure seeing them should be safe now for months, or the overall situation changes.

I hope most people will recognize that there are many people in your situation of compromised immune systems. We will keep wearing our masks for indoor events as my wife does not want to risk getting Covid before her operation.

I hope most people will recognize that there are many people in your situation of compromised immune systems. We will keep wearing our masks for indoor events as my wife does not want to risk getting Covid before her operation.
When it comes to coworkers the local ones are generally careful themselves plus are considerate of people like me. Both events had people from across the province though. One is full on covid conspiracist but he at least had covid once, but it was a while ago, so he could carry it a second time.
My sister rolls her eyes at me a bit, I think she's in the mindset it's old people, those who are very sick at risk only when vaccinated but she at least respects mine and others' boundaries. Plus I think she tries to just avoid thinking about the serious nature of my diagnoses. I can trust her to let me know if anyone there has cold symptoms or something so she can roll her eyes all she wants.

I intend to continue being cautious. Locally, some store staff have ditched their masks. Schools seem to be telling people to 'please yourself'. Was at a hospital yesterday and they were screening everyone and all staff in masks.

My youngest grand has been home from school this week - nasty cough, headache and tiredness. Tests are negative.

With that specific phrase? :LOL: I'm sure that's going great with the teens.

Like do as you will ... without repercussions ... as the reper stated ... with a twist so we wouldn't understand!

How often are we sold a card that says you shouldn't understand or know?

Then there is that impossible thing ... given closed psyche ... its oude there ...

Back