Coming Soon: Change your username

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Mendalla

Happy headbanging ape!!
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Up until now, only admins could change a user's name, so you had to send one of us a conversation and wait for us to approve it and make the change. To be honest, I think we've had two, maybe three, name changes in the 6 years we've been running.

With Xenforo 2.2, users will be able change their own names within limits.

For here, I am proposing limiting changes to once a year and the change will go through a moderation process, meaning a mod has to "Approve" the change. That's just to make sure the name doesn't break any rules. Names that include profanity, hate speech, or that are clearly attempts to rip off another user's identity will not be accepted.

Process will be simple. On the Account Details page in your settings, your username will appear with a Change button. Click "Change", enter the new name and a reason for the change (which helps the moderator approving it), and click Save.

If one changes a user name, will all former posts by that user show up in search? Just curious. I do recall in early days we did have one user who changed names very often - it was a problem that I think prompted the change to current processes. I guess a once a year change would be okay, if it complied with the rules as you state - and if it was clear to all of us that this is a new name for a prior user.

If one changes a user name, will all former posts by that user show up in search? J

They will show under the new name.

Another board I am on requires (or used to, not sure about current rules) users who get a name change to include the old name in their sig for a period after the change (not sure how long). 'formerly known as Mendalla" type of thing. I am not that it is necessary here. If someone seems to be changing name to avoid their past, I hope the approving mod would take note and make the approval appropriately conditional or something.

Back