Co-housing

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

A bit different issue, but I spoke with a neighbour of mine, who has severe sensitivities and lives in a rented duplex at the end of my road. She noticed that her neighbour was using scented products ( their two pets pee/ poop on puppy pads because they don’t walk the dogs), as well as the laundry seems to exhaust somehow into their attic/ laundry room. She has been reacting severely to it and offered them to buy them a different laundry detergent as much as they need. They reacted quite nasty. Really difficult to live in rented space if you have to deal with that. Co- housing could be a solution if you find someone else with similar problems. There really aren’t enough divers options out there for people with special needs.

I'm not 'extremely sensitive', but damn, fabric softener sheets, and dryers using same that vent near a sidewalk, are a constant invitation to an attack of asthma. I use a 1/2 volume of "extremely sensitive" liquid fabric softener, topped up with vinegar, to keep my clothing uncrispy/un-static-y, drying outside. Works just fine. Why people have to keep putting those toxic dryer sheet fumes out into the breathing neighbourhood is beyond me.

I'm not 'extremely sensitive', but damn, fabric softener sheets, and dryers using same that vent near a sidewalk, are a constant invitation to an attack of asthma. I use a 1/2 volume of "extremely sensitive" liquid fabric softener, topped up with vinegar, to keep my clothing uncrispy/un-static-y, drying outside. Works just fine. Why people have to keep putting those toxic dryer sheet fumes out into the breathing neighbourhood is beyond me.
I'm just fed up with all the scented stuff. The scented product I'm using lately? Mosquito spray. It's a 'dry' version, doesn't seem to affect my skin as much, couldn't buy it without added scent.

I do use dryer sheets on occasion, haven't noticed an issue with using them. Unscented, part of a sheet and the excess stuff wiped off first, basically enough to cut down on the static. I've had clothes that I would swipe with them too ie. a skirt after getting out of the car.

I don't use liquid fabric softener though, unless you're including vinegar in that. Even then though it's not the purpose I use it for, I'm not 'softening' clothes.

I'm just fed up with all the scented stuff. The scented product I'm using lately? Mosquito spray. It's a 'dry' version, doesn't seem to affect my skin as much, couldn't buy it without added scent.

I do use dryer sheets on occasion, haven't noticed an issue with using them. Unscented, part of a sheet and the excess stuff wiped off first, basically enough to cut down on the static. I've had clothes that I would swipe with them too ie. a skirt after getting out of the car.

I don't use liquid fabric softener though, unless you're including vinegar in that. Even then though it's not the purpose I use it for, I'm not 'softening' clothes.
Unscented, yes. I cut them in half and reuse them for another load. Also enough builds up in the dryer that a couple of loads will soften with just the residue.

DaisyJane friends did this about 30 years ago in Edmonton for their daughter. It can work. Wishing you and Matthew -and all involved-a smooth transition

Thanks for asking.

I forget where I left off. But right now we're working with an architectural firm to plan for renovations. We hope to tackle those in the early months of 2020. My guess is that Matthew won't be spending time in the home until late Spring at the earliest. At the moment, for insurance reasons our eldest and two friends live in the home.

Got an interesting call today. We have had an ongoing relationship with a well-known architectural design firm. They have renovated our home and our cottage and have been retained to tackle Matthew's home. They also do extensive work in the medicolegal/isurance sector. They are concerned that our new and creative way to deal with care will have an impact on future legal settlements. The argument being that if several families can join forces to "share care" then awards can be correspondingly reduced. We've agreed to share our experiences with the firm so that they are prepared to deal with any legal challenges our "precedent" might lead to.

Got an interesting call today. We have had an ongoing relationship with a well-known architectural design firm. They have renovated our home and our cottage and have been retained to tackle Matthew's home. They also do extensive work in the medicolegal/isurance sector. They are concerned that our new and creative way to deal with care will have an impact on future legal settlements. The argument being that if several families can join forces to "share care" then awards can be correspondingly reduced. We've agreed to share our experiences with the firm so that they are prepared to deal with any legal challenges our "precedent" might lead to.
That is interesting - I would not have considered that - nor do I really think it ought to factor in to establishing damages. Your situation is pretty unique & I'm doubtful that very many other family would be able to work out such a situation. It will be interesting to hear how it unfolds.

Daisy Jane, how are the renovations coming along on Matthew's house?

I am wondering if your plans have been affected by Matthew's recent illness.

Thinking about you and your situation and within all the best.

Back